Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: local article--poker isnt a sport--near clemson SC

Why did he even write that article? I don't get it.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN shows the national spelling bee.
Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did he even write that article? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

because he's a morAn
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(E)ntertainment and (S)ports (P)rogramming (N)etwork

[/ QUOTE ]

The E for entertainment argument bugs me.

Even though they still have the 'entertainment' part it's pretty much viewed as the 24-hour sports network. Screw what the letters stand for.
They should not have done that stupid Tilt drama and they shouldn't be doing a lot of their other ridiculous 'entertainment' stuff.

just because 'entertainment' is in their title doesn't mean they should just show whatever they want.
Hell, they could buy up the re-runs of the Sopranos as are currently shown on A&E (Arts and Entertainement) and then point to the 'E' in ESPN and try to justify it.

They could even have 21 hours of Seinfeld re-runs and then show 1 baseball game and say, "Hey, the E for entertainment comes before the S in sports. What's the problem?"

But that would be stupid because people who watch ESPN want to watch sports and they have marketed themselves as a 24-hour sports network.

Also -
Back in the early 80's or so I'm pretty sure they used to have business-programming on from 6a-9a I think.
This was before CNBC or Bloomberg television.

So instead of your morning-dose of SportsCenter reruns they would have two guys chatting about the markets.

And obviously that doesn't really qualify as either 'entertainment' or 'sports'.

Am I the only one that remembers when they did this? I was only 11 or 12 I think so my memory about it might be a bit fuzzy. But I'm pretty sure they did this.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Microbob,

MTV doesn't show very many music videos anymore. Does that grind your gears?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, def agree w/sync swimming (b/c of the subjective scoring system)

[/ QUOTE ]

- gymnastics
- figure-skating
- diving
- BOXING

[/ QUOTE ]

Boxing doesn't fit with the other 3. In the first 3, judges make the decision of the winner each and every time. In boxing, fighters frequently win by knockout, no judging needed.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, def agree w/sync swimming (b/c of the subjective scoring system)

[/ QUOTE ]

- gymnastics
- figure-skating
- diving
- BOXING

[/ QUOTE ]

Boxing doesn't fit with the other 3. In the first 3, judges make the decision of the winner each and every time. In boxing, fighters frequently win by knockout, no judging needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. you don't have to have a judge for a boxing match to be decided, it's just more humane.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

sponger - I definitely miss the older MTV.
But that's pretty cliche to say, "hey, remember when Music Television actually played...you know....music?!?!"

Whatever, I've finally gotten over it. If they want to show the most ridiculous reality show they can dream up and enough people actually watch it then go for it.

velocity - Boxing fits in enough times to be included imo.
For those fights you have 3 judges pretty much saying, "I think this guy boxed better" and then some other guy saying, "Well, I think the other guy boxed better."

It's the same as if they had no overtime in many of the traditional team sports and just had 3 judges decide which team 'played better' and thus was more deserving of the win even if it was a 0-0 tie in soccer or hockey or something.

Also, some of the KO's are TKO's, right?
This is pretty much the ref saying, "Okay, this guy has had enough so I now declare him the loser."
not much of a boxing fan so not sure how common this is.

In gymnastics and diving and so forth they have 'degree of difficulty' already established on some of the moves I think.
They pretty much already know that if he lands such-and-such move without bouncing after landing or whatever that it will be worth a 10 or a 9.8 or whatever.
That's the impression I get from the announcers at least but, again, I don't watch these sports very much.

Anyway, I really don't think the gymnastics scoring is that much more subjective than boxing when it goes to a decision.

At the non-championship or amateur/olympic level don't they have a lot of 3 round bouts that are frequently decided by the judges?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM

What is sad is this guy got paid to write this.

No, poker is not a sport. Where is my money?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And since video gaming is a sport I’m a bit upset that ESPN didn’t televise one of my recent accomplishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN does televise video games. http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames...ory?id=2686068
What this D-Bag doesnt understand is that ESPN will televise ANYTHING that is competitive and will get ratings, it doesnt have to be a sport. and No [censored] they wont televise your create a school in NCAA 07 ...... Because no one cares. but if you can compete in Madden against the best in the world u can be on ESPN.

OBV poker and video games are not a sport.... they are VERY competitive games that are interesting to the public. this was just a terribly written article with an irrelevant point