Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Professional No Limit Vol. II

[ QUOTE ]
it sounds like perhaps the book should spend quite a few pages explaining how poker is still poker regardless of how many players were dealt in and you still go through the exact same processes to make your decisions

[/ QUOTE ]

soah - please post this in the B&M forum next time I have some wacko scream that playing NL online is night and day from playing NL live. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM

i never see 6max books man
Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it sounds like perhaps the book should spend quite a few pages explaining how poker is still poker regardless of how many players were dealt in and you still go through the exact same processes to make your decisions

[/ QUOTE ]

soah - please post this in the B&M forum next time I have some wacko scream that playing NL online is night and day from playing NL live. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well there is truth that it's night and day difference... and you can definitely learn to beat a game just by adopting a certain style which happens to exploit the types of opponents you face, without understanding why it works

but a book should be teaching you why it works and how to adapt to all types of opponents that you will face, and not just rules of thumb that might hold true for certain games while being terrible advice in others
Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but a book should be teaching you why it works and how to adapt to all types of opponents that you will face, and not just rules of thumb that might hold true for certain games while being terrible advice in others

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM

I think I can sum this up. We, collectively speaking, would like to see books that thoroughly cover No-Limit Hold 'em cash games, both full ring and 6-max, both live and online. The stakes we play at run the gamut, from low stakes up to the nosebleed stakes. I think most players who bother to read books endeavor to eventually make it to the higher stakes if they aren't there already.

We would like to learn how to adapt to different types of opponents and playing conditions (to the extent that can be taught in a book). Hopefully between what you write and what Harrington is currently working on, we will get what we are looking for.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM

But seriously, if you are looking for suggestions, here is mine:

DYNAMICS and/or MANIPULATION
Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well there is truth that it's night and day difference... and you can definitely learn to beat a game just by adopting a certain style which happens to exploit the types of opponents you face, without understanding why it works

[/ QUOTE ]

My mantra: learning how to play poker isn't about learning how to beat "your game". The key is learning how to adjust to table conditions, texture, oponents, situations, stack sizes, etc etc etc. Adjust adjust adjust! Its not an online vs B&M difference, its really the difference between people who know how to adjust to conditions of the game and people who don't have a clue how to adjust!

PS: more [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for soah!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

I think I've gotten more hearts in this thread than for all my other 16k posts combined =p
Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mantra: learning how to play poker isn't about learning how to beat "your game". The key is learning how to adjust to table conditions, texture, oponents, situations, stack sizes, etc etc etc. Adjust adjust adjust! Its not an online vs B&M difference, its really the difference between people who know how to adjust to conditions of the game and people who don't have a clue how to adjust!

PS: more [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for soah!

[/ QUOTE ]

After this, there is no need to write a book. Think! Think! Think! dammit!!!

There is not nerds vs jocks war. A professional player will simply move from game to game, style to style, because there is an edge to be had. Think of the days when LowBall was the hottest game in town, then Stud took over, then it was Limit Hold'em, and now it is NL Hold'em and Tourneys. Yes, there perhaps should be book that touches on these basic topics (TOP anyone?), but the reality is that if there is too much information, this information will be misused, and make many players worse than if they were to never had made those adjustments in the first place. A good example is shortly after NLTP came out, people started shoving all in on the river when it was obvious that they had the nuts. Yes, against a bad player this may work, but against me you are losing a ton of money, because I probably have a clear idea of what you have, and by pushing AI confirms my beliefs. Bet enough so that I have some doubt about my reads, and I am more likely to call you. It may not be much more, but it is enough to create some kind of profit, or rather refund some of the money from the earlier streets that you misplayed against me.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 PM

6 max and FR are not the same. Different concepts have different levels of importance. Yes it is the same game and most things apply to both, but the importance of headsup and blind situations is so much higher in 6 max than FR (at least at low stakes). I understand poker theory (or at least as much as I ever will), but I want more specific advice on certain situations that come up a lot in 6 max compared to FR. I want to see hand examples for 6 max that simply aren't likely to occur in FR (once again at least at smaller stakes).

Finally please stop responding to posts with a bunch of hearts... it creeps me out.