Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: How can we gently convince old guy with Alzheimer\'s to quit playin

Hi, there. Some suggestions:
Play 3/4 of the sessions with Bill and 1/4 without him.
Tell him a white lie, don't hide it.

Don't tell it to him why, but avoid complicated games lke Omaha 8 and so on where it is difficult to read hands.

Play for lower stakes.

Do something else than poker.

And maybe the best idea of all. Play 2-man poker. 2 persons in a team or something like that.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't tell it to him why, but avoid complicated games lke Omaha 8 and so on where it is difficult to read hands.

Play for lower stakes.

And maybe the best idea of all. Play 2-man poker. 2 persons in a team or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the best ideas I've read so far.

I think that the games you are playing are very complicated. I'm in my late 20s, and if I got together to play omaha 8 with my friends, chances are there would be a misread hand / board every 5 minutes, even while sober! Try thinking of a card game that marginalizes difficulties, as Quoted poster intelligently points out.

All cheekiness aside, you have to find a compromise between your friends' wants and Bill's wants. It's really that simple. Work as a team to make sure that you find this compromise. Don't ever forget that the worst thing that could happen here is that somebody becomes really unhappy.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Play for lower stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the best ideas I've read so far.

I think that the games you are playing are very complicated. I'm in my late 20s, and if I got together to play omaha 8 with my friends, chances are there would be a misread hand / board every 5 minutes, even while sober! Try thinking of a card game that marginalizes difficulties, as Quoted poster intelligently points out.

All cheekiness aside, you have to find a compromise between your friends' wants and Bill's wants. It's really that simple. Work as a team to make sure that you find this compromise. Don't ever forget that the worst thing that could happen here is that somebody becomes really unhappy.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm yeah well, I said the same exact friggin thing 2 posts before.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All cheekiness aside, you have to find a compromise between your friends' wants and Bill's wants. It's really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. how womanish people have become.

the guy thing to do is to get him fixed so he can still play. if he can't, then don't play with him. maybe it sounds harsh but is it really better to let him suffer from a disease without treatment rather than helping him?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM

If the object is 'how do we play poker without this trouble' the answer is starting the new game, which you're doing.

If the object is 'how do we help our friend', then what about these thoughts:

Maybe you need visual reminders of what's going on.

A red card that when he folds you hand him the red card so when he argues you can say "see you have the red card."

Have something that passes around that shows whose turn it is... like a dealer chip.

This way he doesn't have to remember who is doing what, he just has to look 'do I have the turn' or 'did I fold'?

Misreading hands is harder, though. Sounds like he usually loses, so maybe he 'buys in' with different chips that don't really have value, so he doesn't really 'buy in'.

Good luck, man.