Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Stack-To-Pot Ratios: Introduction

How many volumes total will there be? 2?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many volumes total will there be? 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not clear whether we'll extend the PNL series or write others.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Cant wait for reading the whole thing. I hate that you have chosen this chapter for internet magazine as it ends with shaky conclusion which most high stakes players disagree with. Raising more preflop with some hands is a concept which will be very hard to justify as arguments against it are just too strong.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant wait for reading the whole thing. I hate that you have chosen this chapter for internet magazine as it ends with shaky conclusion which most high stakes players disagree with. Raising more preflop with some hands is a concept which will be very hard to justify as arguments against it are just too strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

the article does not argue to raise more preflop with some hands. it shows that if your opponents are loose and indifferent to your raise size, with 100bb stacks and kings you benefit from raising more. that's all.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, the book's target audience isn't high stakes players, it's for small to medium stakes where exploitive strategies are more important than being non-exploitable.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:47 AM

if there loose and indifferent to my raise sizes then i can just push allin god bless america
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, the book's target audience isn't high stakes players, it's for small to medium stakes where exploitive strategies are more important than being non-exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising more is only good if Villain will play similair range vs 3xBB raise and 6xBB raise and then play similarly on the flop.
This is will not happen vs most bad players but I guess there are some huge donks who fit the description. Vs vast majority of bad players though you will lose too much action preflop to make "having easier decisions later in the hand" worthwhile.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
Vs vast majority of bad players though you will lose too much action preflop to make "having easier decisions later in the hand" worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I vehemently disagree with this. It's not true of any of the live games I play in - from the games in Vegas to LA, Tunica, New Orleans, New York, etc. - to the good online games (Party before the leg., etc.). I see some 2p2ers so disproportionately favor Shania/balance/etc strategies to exploitative strategies (which are very often more +EV) that it makes me wonder if they're simply just playing in terrible games.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vs vast majority of bad players though you will lose too much action preflop to make "having easier decisions later in the hand" worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I vehemently disagree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys present any EV calcs to support this in the book?

Also, Matt talks about the "MOST profitable [SPR] for your hand should you hit the flop", but do you discuss the most profitable SPRs overall?

And as an aside, Matt said in another thread you play online frequently- care to share your SN, or is it top secret like Moshman's?

tia.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Hi curious123,

Yes, we discuss most profitable overall SPR's. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking with the EV of a bad player calling or not calling a particular preflop raise size, but there's plenty of equity discussion and calculation throughout the book. And as for my personal history, there's no "top secret", but this thread is not the place for that discussion. If you're interested about me you can check out the "About The Author" pages in the book, the "Bio" page on my website, or you can contact me privately.

-S