Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Scott Boras wants 9-game World Series

Do sports really need MORE neutral field championships? I guess Boras thinks nothing says thanks like making the fans who have supported a team through 170+ games travel and spend beaucoup dollars for a ticket in some faraway city. Go for more hype if you feel like it but at least do it in the teams' own parks.

KJS
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone with a brain can see 9-game world series is awful.

Seriously, if it comes down to the 7th game, and you lose, you're not the better team, get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldnt be more wrong. The better team loses a 7 game series a lot. From the standpoint of determining the best team a world series should be best of something like 21 but it would be terrible for ratings.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

the point isn't to crown the best team. It's to be exciting and entertaining. 9 games with two neutral field games in Miami/San Diego/Arlington isn't exciting.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the point isn't to crown the best team. It's to be exciting and entertaining. 9 games with two neutral field games in Miami/San Diego/Arlington isn't exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know that nine games isn't exciting, I just think the neutral site idea is really dumb and don't like the idea of robbing the home teams of their games. As someone else said, taking games away from the fan bases that supported them all year is stupid.

Plus I can't fathom baseball ever having an "event" on the scale of the Super Bowl. It's not nearly as popular a sport ratings-wise, the SB gives people a chance to travel to warm weather cities in the winter, and the fact that it's a whole series instead of a single game are things that come to mind.

As a casual fan, I'd like to see a nine game series like they had 100+ years ago. It could give staff aces three starts without being short on rest, and at least to some degree should increase the chances of the better team winning - which is already hard to do in a sport where you've had a great season if you win 60% of the time.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens when NY is awarded an opening weekend and then the Yankees make the Series?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if NY was awarded the opening weekend and BOS has to go play there? Or Boston awarded with opening weekend and NYY play there (could say the same thing possibly about LAD/SD, LAD/LAA, etc..). I think the site becomes much less 'neutral' at that point.

craig
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 PM

I don't like the neutral site idea, but 9 game WS isn't that bad an idea. I don't really care on way or another.
One thing the NHL has right, which other sports should adopt IMO is an awards ceremony.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 AM

I'm still pissed that they added useless teams and created three divisions with an extra round of playoffs.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 AM

They should just cut down on the regular season and expand the playoffs to 16 teams, with 7 game series.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They should just cut down on the regular season and expand the playoffs to 16 teams, with 7 game series.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad

[/ QUOTE ]

why?