Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Posting Other People\'s Pictures On 2p2 - How Terrible Is It?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I don't understand all you guys and your obsession with pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a cliche, but; men are visual creatures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men are also trainwreckual creatures.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm the same way, katy. I enjoy picturing people as their avatars, actually. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really, totally agree with you VR. There are so many people I picture as their avatars - censored, tdarko, patrick. Remember when Salt was a thin black musician? It's weird seeing what posters actually look like. I don't like it! Hm...I'm going back to my old avatar I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always pictured Schneids as a black guy with a baseball cap.

I'm at least as happy not knowing what people look like as knowing it. There's not any real upside to seeing their faces, and if they're particularly irritating looking or something, then I'll just have that blecch factor going. FWIW, most pictures people take of themselves strike me as irritating.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what's that all about? You guys just bored or what?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I don't understand all you guys and your obsession with pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Men are visual, no doubt about it. But I think girls on the forums are visual creatures too. I think it's just me. I've always wondered why the girls on here are so into the idea of posting their pics for the whole world to see. Guys too for that matter. (Not knocking any specific individuals. I like you all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You're all cute and cool in my book. Totally mean that. I am just curious about the whole phenomenon, that's all.)

I think my interest in forums is really different from some of you. I only like the intellectual exchange of ideas and some comic relief. I totally don't have any curiosity about what anyone looks like. I find it boring. I'm kind of into fashion though so the whole "what should I wear with this shirt" thing is kind of fun.

Frankly, I just like to picture you all as the cast of characters from LOST.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misinterpret being "eager" to post pictures. There is a difference between BBV's "Ugliest Girlfriend Thread" where (for example) 'Chair posted a picture of him and FFK with a snide caption about attractive versus unattractive people and them posting pictures of themselves in a "What was your Halloween Costume?" thread. People who are not embarrassed to post their pictures when asked shouldn't receive any negative judgment from doing so.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you misinterpret being "eager" to post pictures. There is a difference between BBV's "Ugliest Girlfriend Thread" where (for example) 'Chair posted a picture of him and FFK with a snide caption about attractive versus unattractive people and them posting pictures of themselves in a "What was your Halloween Costume?" thread. People who are not embarrassed to post their pictures when asked shouldn't receive any negative judgment from doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

after recess, we'll line up and head back into the classroom and trace our hands to draw mom and dad a picture of a turkey. gobble gobble.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what's that all about? You guys just bored or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my observation, and unfortunate experience, many here are bored and need to assist with making trainwreckage.
"Drama queens much?" comes to mind.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it was probably a typo, but the semi-colon use here cracked me up. I mean, seriously. What's it doing there?

God damn it's late.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Katy,

I'm a little late to the party, but here are some thoughts on why men want pics.

1. The post in question hinges on how good looking the girl it's about is. The rest of the forum wants to either mock OP for his bad taste/low standards or to ogle someone new.

2. One that I haven't seen mentioned directly, although Dom did oblige somewhat, is that asking for pics is now just a running joke. People know they're not going to get them, but they ask anyway because it's funny.

3. There's no doubt that trainwrecks have been hugely entertaining here. I think even if most of the posters here are reasonable enough not to actually cause a trainwreck, a vast majority will still revel in the Schadenfreude of one they were not a party to.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

I'm a little late to the party, but here are some thoughts on why men want pics.

1. The post in question hinges on how good looking the girl it's about is. The rest of the forum wants to either mock OP for his bad taste/low standards or to ogle someone new.

2. One that I haven't seen mentioned directly, although Dom did oblige somewhat, is that asking for pics is now just a running joke. People know they're not going to get them, but they ask anyway because it's funny.

3. There's no doubt that trainwrecks have been hugely entertaining here. I think even if most of the posters here are reasonable enough not to actually cause a trainwreck, a vast majority will still revel in the Schadenfreude of one they were not a party to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right that it's sort of human nature to revel in this kind of stuff. But personally I really don't get mocking someone else's girlfriend (or boyfriend whatever). Also, the trainwrecks are unjustifiable, imo.

I understand what you are saying about people just goofing around asking for pics. I would just rather not know what everyone looks like. (I like to think of you as the guy in your avatar, Wookie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].)

My stand on this whole issue is that people shouldn't post pics of other people without their permission. I don't care how drunk or pissed off they are!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM

How can we make racist jokes if we don't know what race the posters are?