Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: does the pointlessness of your life bother you?

[ QUOTE ]
also remember that a human life span was prob around 30 years before modern medicine. im pretty sure i wouldn't have time to be depressed if i had to grow up, have kids and take care of them until adulthood in a truncated timeline.

we are "wired" to be dead before this becomes an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the case. The increase in life expectancy is primarily due to reduction in infant and child mortality, not expanding the life span of adults.

A 15-year old in the Upper Paleolithic Era is estimated to have had a life expectancy of 54.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_life_span
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Sure am glad there is no nonprimal 'goal' in life. 50 years isn't a whole lot of time to accomplish anything monumental, especially with 6.6billion other people aiming to do the same.

Hedonism and kindness.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Hey "Dire",

Lame.

The competition doesn't limit you. Look at [censored] 2+2: we learn from each other for mutual benefit.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 AM

"I think a lot of the opinions in this thread are correct, in that ideally meaningless shouldn't bother people. But it bothers me, and it always has, and it has contributed to my depression whether people like KKF believe me or not."

ive felt this way in the past, but i have come to believe that it is really my mortality that bothers me. If I knew that I would live forever, I think much of this anxiety would be resolved.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ive felt this way in the past, but i have come to believe that it is really my mortality that bothers me. If I knew that I would live forever, I think much of this anxiety would be resolved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that you were going to arrive here. You're gonna die, dude. Live with it.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like anyone else who is reading this, I am well off compared to the rest of the world's standards. I have the luxury of having all I need to live healthy, which allows me to dwell on my pointlessness. People who struggle to eat and have shelter don't think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE
YOU
SERIOUS
?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 AM

what? Yeah i was being serious.

If you are hungry, you are thinking where is food. Once finding food is not a problem, then you can start thinking what is my purpose here.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 AM

man, this is what all the cool kids think about isn't it.

i've spent plenty of time mediating on this, and i've come to this conclusion.

do what you want that makes you happy; life really is too short. so, the ultimate goal is family, obviously. but for now, i'm young, i'll have a good time. i really enjoy sitting there and doing nothing and watching movies. i enjoy talking to my friends and laughing and waking up at weird times and not sleeping for days and drinking milk shakes, etc. i enjoy all kinds of [censored], and that is what i do.

i don't really care to make a difference. i've gotten very good at poker and i've written some strat and some people probably think "man, aejones knows what he's talkin about he's made me a better poker player" and that allows me to sleep at night. and some people think "man that aejones sure is a tool, i hope i'm never like him" and that allows me to sleep even deeper at night.

do what you like and like what you do, you can only do this [censored] once.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM

Is nobody on 2+2 religious? I'm not at all, but it seems like someone should be having a field day with this thread.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM

One way of expressing the framework of reality is to first see that all things can immediately be reduced to the Big Three, consisting of I, We and It. There are obviously things in this world, atoms, molecules, cells, planets, etc. which are made up of some stuff and have at least some substance to them which we can see, hear, feel, smell and so forth. The nature of things is hierarchical, that is, some things are more basic than others, a tree is made of cells, cells are made of molecules, molecules are made of atoms, and so on. One crucial feature of things is that higher order constructions always transcend and include their constituent parts. Trees have attributes that no cell has, cells have attributes that no molecule has, yet each higher thing includes the lower, and could not exist without is parts. This is the It.

The I is the self, the interior reality which can never truly be shared. Often consciousness is reduced to the workings of the brain, the neurons, synapses, brain wave function, but no matter how sophisticated an instrument may be devised to measure the activity of the brain, no one can ever measure it in such a way as to tell you what I am thinking. To participate in that reality, you have to ask me, and I have to tell you truthfully. Consciousness includes the brain, but it also transcends it and has attributes that its constituent parts could never have. Consciousness also has hierarchical (or holarchical) reality, as some levels of consciousness transcend and include others. One can easily see an evolution of self-awareness that is virtually non-existent in, say, a shrimp (though some researchers posit that even cells have some level of consciousness!) through mammals, primates, and human beings. Human beings themselves have an ontogeny of consciousness, from the sucking and grasping instincts of an infant through the entirely egotistical early childhood years, when the mind cannot yet take the place of the other, where the world is not yet disassociated from the self, through that early differentiation, concrete operational thought, and rationality. Researchers in this field such as Piaget tend to stop with rational thought, but if we continue to higher levels of consciousness we can see that even higher states are possible, which include rationality but also make use of higher mystical or spiritual states typified by the Four Jnanas of Buddhism, the spiritual ecstasies of Meister Eckhart and St. Theresa of Avila, and so on, right up to the non-dual states related by Ramana Maharshi, Dzogchen, and Plotinus. This is the I.

The We is the interior collective, or the parts of ourselves that we share as human beings, culture, society, relationships. As we grow and experience higher internal states, we are able to communicate and commune with others in deeper ways. Societies emerge from mythic-arcaic tribes through nation-states, democratic republics, and so forth. We all see the shortcomings of our societies today, many people have not developed their consciousness to the point where a shared vision of how to interact with each other in loving, respectful, supportive ways is possible. The only solution is to increase our perception of these deficiencies, and work to improve our own level of consciousness and that of those with whom we interact. This is the We, and from our perspective, this is the purpose of life.

Recommended Reading
A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber