Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Vegans...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why such a reverence for life? or do you see a problem with destroying the wrapper on a bar of chocolate as well?

What's so special about a cucumber?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapper? No. I have little attachment to it. But, in general, who am I to destroy life? I'm made of the same things they are; we're all part of the same world. And if I can live fine causing minimal disturbance among the lives of others (animals/plants included), I feel as though I should. No need, imo, to needlessly disrupt things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine if that's your personal issue but you can't just insist that its based on anything real and so applies to anybody else. Personally, I couldn't care less about killing a cucumber.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. I'm sure you read my other posts where I suggested that I would respect your autonomy and not physically stop you from eating your cucumber.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay I got the impression from your previous posts that you were saying I'd have to be lying to myself to deny there's anything wrong with killing a cucumber.

Sorry if that's not what you meant but if it is I'm hoping you will provide some basis for your claim.

chez
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And destroying plant life in order that I might eat is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
And the difference between plant life and a chicken is....

And please don't say "a brain". I've dealt with chickens, I know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a similar difference that you find between a cow and a human. (Assuming you eat cows and do not eat humans)

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon Dan, now you're just posting without thinking. One is cannibalism, and the other isn't. Care to try again? What is the difference between plant "life" and animal "life"?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a similar difference that you find between a cow and a human. (Assuming you eat cows and do not eat humans)

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon Dan, now you're just posting without thinking. One is cannibalism, and the other isn't. Care to try again? What is the difference between plant "life" and animal "life"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is eating humans wrong but eating cows okay? I understand that one is cannibalism. Why is that wrong?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Short answer: Dirty hippies love animals and hate people.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short answer: Dirty hippies love animals and hate people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, reminds me of the South Park episode where they rag on PETA.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is eating humans wrong but eating cows okay? I understand that one is cannibalism. Why is that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cannibalism is rare (wrong?) among most species, humans included. Eating other animals for food is certainly not rare (wrong?) among the species. By the way, that's another reason chickens are [censored] stupid creatures.

Vegans are fine upstanding citizens in my book (unless they're dirty hippies), it's a choice they've made. There is no right or wrong about what our species eats, in my opinion (short of cannibalism, of course).
Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Cannibalism is rare (wrong?) among most species, humans included. Eating other animals for food is certainly not rare (wrong?) among the species. By the way, that's another reason chickens are [censored] stupid creatures.

Vegans are fine upstanding citizens in my book (unless they're dirty hippies), it's a choice they've made. There is no right or wrong about what our species eats, in my opinion (short of cannibalism, of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I think having flesh makes an animal too much like myself to eat it; whereas plant life is different enough (low enough in the chain) that I justify it.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM

A plant doesn't have brains so it doesn't have consciousness.

There is this thing called "specism" (like racism...) that makes most people emotionally undervalue other species, while vegans generally try to value different kinds of human beings (fetus, babies...) and other species based on rational thinking instead of acting based on their emotions.

So probably a fetus may be as valuable as a worm from a rational standpoint (don't know about either one much myself though so can't compare).
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is this thing called "specism" (like racism...) that makes most people emotionally undervalue other species, while vegans generally try to value different kinds of human beings (fetus, babies...) and other species based on rational thinking instead of acting based on their emotions.

So probably a fetus may be as valuable as a worm from a rational standpoint (don't know about either one much myself though so can't compare).

[/ QUOTE ]

So to stay rational, a coma victim or mentally retarded person should also be "valued" less right? Sorry, I just don't buy this argument and find it borderline troubling.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you would be so kind:

What do you mean by "consciousness"?
How do you know that plants do not have consciousness?
Does the effectiveness of the "brain" in the animal affect your thinking? (I'm going back to my stupid chickens again)