Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: LC: We\'re playing SNGs-are we idiots?

Seems to me that NL cash games are by far the most challenging and most profitable.

I think most people start in the sngs cos its the safest place to start with a small bankroll. Once you're making a steady profit and increase stakes / start multitabling its difficult to switch to cash games and lose the sng mindset (for me anyway).

I think if your trying to make a serious profit from poker you need to play NL cash, but if you're just a recreational player trying to top up your salary then sngs are less stressfull and much more enjoyable.

(or do I just need to learn how to play small stakes cash - good books anyone?)
Old 06-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Stop the nonsense. You can still make several hundred thousand dollars per year in SNGs. If your opponents are getting better then maybe you should work a little harder to get a bigger edge. There's always plenty more to improve at. Very few players play close to perfect.

Cash games have the most potential profit. However, to make a nice chunk of change in them they require a lot more effort than SNGs. If you aren't very good at SNGs yet, then maybe cash is the way to go, but I think SNGs are still a good option for a lot of players.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Wait a minute - what if Moneymaker wins the WSOP Main Event again this year? Wouldn't all poker be back in business in a very serious way? omg...
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM

I jumped from SNG's to cash this past week and, frankly, I don't think I'll ever come back. I'd been asking myself this exact question for months before actually doing so.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I jumped from SNG's to cash this past week and, frankly, I don't think I'll ever come back. I'd been asking myself this exact question for months before actually doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

YESSSSSSS! lol..j/k I plan to focus on cash at some point in the future.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played against you last night at Star 50 NL. I too am giving cash games more of a go lately. Especially late at night when it's hard to get a bunch of SNG's going.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM

I suspect that if I ever become a winning $60 player I'll move to cash games eventually, unless we get a carve out where people aren't afraid to play online. I've put too much time and effort the last 5 months on sngs to switch back to cash games. Personally I find cash games to get boring after awhile which leads me to playing too many hands which leads me to tilting which leads me to spewing buy ins.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect that if I ever become a winning $60 player I'll move to cash games eventually, unless we get a carve out where people aren't afraid to play online. I've put too much time and effort the last 5 months on sngs to switch back to cash games. Personally I find cash games to get boring after awhile which leads me to playing too many hands which leads me to tilting which leads me to spewing buy ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

it sounds like you are like me and get bored with stuff.

you should try Heads Up sit n gos.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop the nonsense. You can still make several hundred thousand dollars per year in SNGs. If your opponents are getting better then maybe you should work a little harder to get a bigger edge. There's always plenty more to improve at. Very few players play close to perfect.

Cash games have the most potential profit. However, to make a nice chunk of change in them they require a lot more effort than SNGs. If you aren't very good at SNGs yet, then maybe cash is the way to go, but I think SNGs are still a good option for a lot of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

Also, I think the SNG world goes through a lot more transitions than the cash world. If it were still the "old" days we probably wouldn't be having this discussion and we would be laughing at ring players who thought SNGs weren't real poker while we had our 20%+ ROIs. Fortunately, the player pool at some levels/sites have been making a good comeback(or possibly a flux), where the games have softened(or hardened in some cases). When more regulars exit the game for cash, it softens up as opposed to when most good SNG players in the world was on Stars post-Frist with a much reduced Fish pool.

As well, these days the games are certainly tougher with more variance, but unless you are playing the highest stakes you can still crush the game by good table selection and staying on top of your game. A lot of the regulars experience extreme variance at SNGs because they just aren't that good. I've had some long discussions with a lot of 2p2ers and it's apparent that a lot of people aren't really as good as they think at SNGs. As simplistic as it is, it's very easy to get rusty and get off your game.

Regardless, I think every player should know how to beat cash games so when you go play live or if SNGs were ever to get even harder then you could do so. It's obviously a lot more fun to be a winner than a loser at any game. I try and take pride at being good at both or trying to be, just as people take pride in being good at multiple games besides NLHE.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask how many tables you play at once now? Just curious.

I've been trying 50NL at Stars and having better results than the 16s lately, for whatever reason. I'm not sure why cash would be softer than SNGs; if there are fewer fish than pre-Frist I would think all games would be tougher now.