Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Sneaking onto a private course

At the place I caddied at the pros and the caddy master pretty much know every person that plays the course, so if they saw someone they didn't recognize they would definitely question them. (which I've never seen happen) So it would only work on this course if you just played holes that were out of sight from the clubhouse.

But on my local public course it would be super easy to sneak on cuz there are no rangers and only a starter there some of the time.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't post much--but wow, By-Tor is a complete f*cking douchebag.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM

If you are really adventurous, just walk up to the course like you know what you are doing and walk to the first tee and tee off. Make sure to wave to people and maybe even into the proshop as you walk by. There are plenty of members that get forgotten and a lot of workers, except for the douchey ones, really can't remember exactly who everyone is and don't really care to find out. Just make sure to be dressed very appropriately and don't get in anyones way or play at a busy time.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are really adventurous, just walk up to the course like you know what you are doing and walk to the first tee and tee off. Make sure to wave to people and maybe even into the proshop as you walk by. There are plenty of members that get forgotten and a lot of workers, except for the douchey ones, really can't remember exactly who everyone is and don't really care to find out. Just make sure to be dressed very appropriately and don't get in anyones way or play at a busy time.

[/ QUOTE ]
At the course I used to work at this method would work about 0% of the time. This isn't to say it would never work, but I'd be careful about picking your spots.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 AM

yeah you definitely have to have the right club to try this. In my area, most of the private clubs don't take tee times except for during really busy times like on saturday/sunday morning and such. If the club has a starter, this is a no go.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the course I used to work at this method would work about 0% of the time. This isn't to say it would never work, but I'd be careful about picking your spots.

[/ QUOTE ]
No doubt it's club-dependent. But still, I've walked onto plenty of private courses without being questioned (it's uncouth of a country club's employees to grill its guests, which is to the trespasser's advantage), and always believed that I could have my way with the facilities on more than one of these occasions.

For example, I show up, they check my clubs, put them on a cart, I go to the driving range, then eventually proceed to a nearby hole or the 10th tee or whatever. Even if I get caught it's not like they're gonna call the cops, most clubs are too big for anyone to figure this out, and if I'm pleasant enough I'm not likely to get interrogated. Such is my take on a couple of the places here, anyway.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt it's club-dependent. But still, I've walked onto plenty of private courses without being questioned (it's uncouth of a country club's employees to grill its guests, which is to the trespasser's advantage), and always believed that I could have my way with the facilities on more than one of these occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked as a caddy and bag room attendant at a country club through high school and college; here is how I would imagine your situation playing out:

_you walking down to the staging area with you bag_

"good afternoon sir, may I take that for you? who will you be playing with today?"

"oh, I'm Mr. X, I'll just be playing a few holes by myself"

"of course Mr X" _putting bag on cart_

go into bag room, check the list of names with storage (since I didn't recognize him or the name, and we need to keep track of who's playing even if we don't take reservations, and I don't want to misspell it or anything), see that Mr X isn't listed, get annoyed.

go to the starter shed, look at membership book to see if you have a country club membership rather than a golf membership (since i would have seen approximately zero of those people before), see that you are again not listed.

tell the starter what's going on and have him go over and make sure I didn't mishear your name before throwing you out.

on the other hand, our clubhouse and the first and 18th holes were on one side of the road, with 2-17 across it ... if you snuck onto 2, you would almost never get caught.

edited to add:

fwiw, we had about 350 golf members, i probably recognized 250 or so by face and almost all of the rest by name, and about 50 by the car they drove to drop off and pick up clubs.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked as a caddy and bag room attendant at a country club through high school and college; here is how I would imagine your situation playing out:

_you walking down to the staging area with you bag_

"good afternoon sir, may I take that for you? who will you be playing with today?"

"oh, I'm Mr. X, I'll just be playing a few holes by myself"

"of course Mr X" _putting bag on cart_

go into bag room, check the list of names with storage (since I didn't recognize him or the name, and we need to keep track of who's playing even if we don't take reservations, and I don't want to misspell it or anything), see that Mr X isn't listed, get annoyed.

go to the starter shed, look at membership book to see if you have a country club membership rather than a golf membership (since i would have seen approximately zero of those people before), see that you are again not listed.

tell the starter what's going on and have him go over and make sure I didn't mishear your name before throwing you out.

on the other hand, our clubhouse and the first and 18th holes were on one side of the road, with 2-17 across it ... if you snuck onto 2, you would almost never get caught.

edited to add:

fwiw, we had about 350 golf members, i probably recognized 250 or so by face and almost all of the rest by name, and about 50 by the car they drove to drop off and pick up clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I worked with Ed and I agree. I don't know how big/small the membership there is relative to other clubs, but I'd say that those 250 people who we knew by name, face and reasonable familiarity made up 97% of the rounds of golf played. When someone was there that we didn't recognize they would stand out on that fact alone.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM

edtost, Evan,

No doubt it's club dependent. I'm just going off of my experiences.

For example, a couple of months ago I played at a private CC that was allowing reciprocity to another club since that club had a tournament. I showed up, dropped my bag off at the valet, parked, and walked out to my cart where the bag was. I proceeded to the range, hit balls, and went back to the first tee. At no point did anybody ask me who I was or why I was there, and the range is adjacent to a series of holes I could have just jumped on.

Furthermore, I was playing as someone else and his member number at the other club in order to gain access to this course. As no member was required to play with me so long as I was a member of the other one, I could have given a bogus name and member number and off I went.

Anyway, I just see a lot of potential loopholes is all. The very next day I went to the club that was hosting the tournament to see the horse race. I wasn't a member nor guest but I parked, grabbed a cart and drove out to the event without anyone stopping me. This also got me access to the drink cart, which was open bar haha, and the dinner afterwards, where I started to feel a bit guilty so left. I just think that some clubs are disinclined to interrogate people which opens the door to them getting away with stuff.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By-Tor, stop dude. Yes it's illegal, we get it. If Mat or Mason has a problem with it then it can stop, but based on the other stuff people are allowed to talk about it makes no sense to censor this. Stop trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! We don't tolerate not tolerating trespassing! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[censored] you evan.

golf is based primarily on the honor system. if you want to play for free, go to the practice area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on this and a PM exchange I banned him for 2 days. Lesson: Don't be an effing dick here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! We don't tolerate not tolerating trespassing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Smiles