Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Ranking the Super Bowl MVPs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that most fans overrate Elway due to his last few years, and while he played well, he wasn't even the best player on his team then(TD was). For example, everyone always had Marino ranked higher, but then after the 2 SB wins most people had Elway higher....but those only happened because he had such talent around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you think Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been through this before. Brady took over a horrible team. In Brady's first SB win, the defense was marginal at best that entire year. Brady has never had a great RB and it was a big weakness until Dillon. Brady's WRs have always been some of the worst in the league. I guess his kicker was good, lol. In short, this is pretty much the EXACT OPPOSITE of the Elway situtation.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that most fans overrate Elway due to his last few years, and while he played well, he wasn't even the best player on his team then(TD was). For example, everyone always had Marino ranked higher, but then after the 2 SB wins most people had Elway higher....but those only happened because he had such talent around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this argument all the time & never understand it. It's like Elway gets severely punished for having TD on his team. If you pretend those years didn't happen he still got there 3 times vs. Marino's 1 with the same lack of a running game...does this not count for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not "punishing" him for having TD. We're just realizing that without TD and that o-line he never has those SBs.

To give an analogy from another sport: In basketball especially its easy for one player to carry his team to a championship. Therefore superstars are especially critisized for not leading their teams to a title. Well I don't consider a player like Gary Payton immune to that criticism because him latching onto another superstar and playing second fiddle(or worse) on his way to a championship does not change my opinion of him.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

36. Desmond Howard KR- QB

[/ QUOTE ]

When was Desmond Howard a QB?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've been through this before. Brady took over a horrible team. In Brady's first SB win, the defense was marginal at best that entire year. Brady has never had a great RB and it was a big weakness until Dillon. Brady's WRs have always been some of the worst in the league. I guess his kicker was good, lol. In short, this is pretty much the EXACT OPPOSITE of the Elway situtation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't exactly call the 2001 Pats horrible. They were a decent team (12th in DVOA) and obviously they were huge luckboxes. Sometimes luckboxes when championships (see: 2006 Cardinals).

But that's not my point.

The only argument for Brady>Manning at this point is that three rings are more than one ring. Manning smashes Brady in every other statistical category. So if you believe that Marino>Elway even though Elway has two rings and Marino has none, then logically you should believe Manning>Brady as well.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who has had the greatest super bowl game ever? I don't think I am old enough or know enough history to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Simms QB- NYG

I would put Steve Young second
Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it'd be more interesting to rank their MVP games only(not their careers). As is, my top 10(because I simply don't feel like putting forth the effort of an entire list) would be:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Joe Montana
4. Tom Brady
5. Peyton Manning
6. Ray Lewis
7. Steve Young
8. John Elway
9. Randy White
10. Roger Staubach

[/ QUOTE ]

This list is absolutely awful
Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Any list that doesn't start with

1. Jeter
2. Brady

isn't worth my time.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who has had the greatest super bowl game ever? I don't think I am old enough or know enough history to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Simms QB- NYG

I would put Steve Young second

[/ QUOTE ]

I would put Doug Williams ahead of both of them, as the best mvp performance in super bowl history. People forget he went down with a horrible looking knee injury early, and it briefly looked like he might be knocked out of the game before he returned to the field. Also, remember the skins were down 10 - 0 before he played the best quarter of football in the history of planet earth, which he is so famous for.

Williams probably had more pressure on him than any other qb in superbowl history, because he was the first black qb to play in the big game, and starting rb George Rogers was injured, so the skins had to start Timmy Smith, a rookie with virtually no experience.

Simms 22/25 against basically the same defense the year prior was sick, but Williams had more big plays. Young put up the best #'s in superbowl history, but they played a grossly outmatched San Diego team, who were a 21point dog, and had a horrid pass defense. The 49ers could of started Steve Bono that game, and he would of passed for 4 td's.