Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Need help Re: common sense/common knowledge

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I love how eager you are to teach others common sense, but then you come to OOT for serious answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and i totally explained it to you like fifteen posts ago, you just didn't listen.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So no suggestions, huh? Not a single book recommendation, or go-out-and-do-x exercise, just a lot of "iversonian, who do you think you are to talk like that?"

Well, if nobody else will, I might as well contribute to my own thread, in case someone else has a similar problem.

I have this book called Learn to Earn, by Peter Lynch. It's not like his other books, which are about picking stocks. This is much more general. It teaches you, basically, how business works. Profit, loss, investment, return. It tells you the history of business, from the beginning of capitalism to Wall Street. Towards the end, he'll get into balance sheets and such, but the beginning is a real pleasure to read. I gave it to my brother to read, and I would recommend it to anyone who..... has never read it. It's a really good read, actually. I especially recommend it for people who tend only to see the external workings of business -- people in suits walking into buildings, staring at computer terminals, walking out -- and not really understanding that the underlying force causing all this motion is ROI, and what that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little hazy here.

You say your brother learns well, but doesn't have common sense. You then plan to buy a book about teaching him the underlying forces of business?? This sounds like the type of thing he can, or already has, learned in school.

I wasn't trying to harsh on you earlier, just saying that maybe you don't really know that much about your brother. He seems a little different, as we all are in our own ways.

By asking him what he is all about, maybe you'll learn more about 'how' he views things and learns, and then with that knowledge, you can go out and do this or do that, and expose him to some more of what you see in life.

Maybe I'm just reiterating myself, maybe I'm not clear on what it is exactly you're asking, or what the problem is.

The insurance example seems like a bad one to me. If he doesn't know about insurance deductibles, or why he needs to get the information he does when he gets into an accident, then you have to tell him why. But this goes for anyone, there really isn't another way to cut it. You don't know, someone explains it to you, and then you do. I don't remember all of a sudden just knowing everything about automobile insurance myself.

So maybe we need some more information. What did he do for fun as a kid? What were his interests? Has he had a serious girlfriend? What does he do on weekends? Where was the last place he said he wanted to visit?

Now that I think about it again, what exactly is the problem again? That he didn't know what to do when he got into first two accidents? Like I said, I'm a little confused here. And again, not trying to harsh on the way you teach your brother, and being his only guardian so to speak in this country is a pretty big responsibility, just trying to figure out what exactly you are looking for from him/for him.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

If he's book-smart enough to earn a good salary, he doesn't necessarily have to be street-smart. He'll just pay more than other people would in similar situations. He gets his car totaled - he'll pay for it (some people might get the other party in the accident to pay), he doesn't have a clue about deductibles - he'll pay the deductibles when that comes up (other people would get better insurance). He doesn't know how to fix a leaky pipe - he'll pay a plumber $150 for something that can be fixed DIY for $10. I'm like that to a smaller degree.

It's probably more important to make sure that he doesn't do stupid things in interpersonal relationships - doesn't undermine himself at his future work, doesn't get pushed into some marriage, etc. Is he good with people at least?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably more important to make sure that he doesn't do stupid things in interpersonal relationships - doesn't undermine himself at his future work, doesn't get pushed into some marriage, etc. Is he good with people at least?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe we need some more information. What did he do for fun as a kid? What were his interests? Has he had a serious girlfriend? What does he do on weekends? Where was the last place he said he wanted to visit?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with everyone asking me to upload a match.com profile for my brother? This thread is a lot simpler than you're making it out to be.

Let me put it this way. Pretend there's a test called the LSAT, the Life-SAT. For example, a questions might read, what should you do when you get into an accident? Any answer that doesn't include collecting license plate/driver's license no. fails. (Btw, back when I was in college, a friend borrowed another friend's car, got hit by some lady, only took down her phone number, which turned out to be bogus, and this obv caused some serious problems. This is why I keep bringing up this example). The thing is, you can't study for this in advance because it covers every conceivable situation in everyday life. If you were the guy who developed teaching material for Kaplan, what kinds of things would be included in the course?

Okay, I get it. Acing the LSAT isn't a prerequisite for a happy life. Okay, maybe I'm too big a deal about his poor score. But geez, while he's just chillin at home this summer, maybe it wouldn't hurt for him to take a course on this, ya know.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Q: Will he die
A: Probably not

Resolution: Who cares?

So he doesnt know something, let him know he can ring you if he wants to get an answer.

I dont know a lot of the stuff you listed, but i know my parents are a phone call away with advice if i cant figure it out.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 PM

OP you seem on edge....
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm very close with someone who is VERY similar to your brother. I used to fret over it and get really annoyed. Now, I watch out for him sometimes (like: "your flight is at 9? You know you should probably leave the apartment around 7." He's like "Rly? No wai" and leaves at 8). I'll give advice but I don't get so bent out of shape about it. Life will go on, and if he wants help, he knows where to ask.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Just take Raymond to Vegas and get rich playing blackjack. Just remember that he isn't as good of a driver as he believes.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 PM

If he's 23 years old and not asking for your help, why don't you just be his brother and stop trying to correct his life for him. Hang out with him more without being a prick and you'll find more things to talk about.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM

When I opened this thread & started reading, I was pretty sure my sister found 2p2, and decided to make a thread about me. Until I got to the Asian part and went "whew."

Seriously, as been stated in the thread a thousand times, chill out, find something else to be on edge about, and try to get to know your brother and become a friend he can call in case stuff doesn't go right. Trying to "teach him stuff" won't really work if he's not interested. He seems to be doing fine, honestly. If he doesn't care about paying more for car accidents, then neither should you.