Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: List people who make your life worse, and those who make it better

[ QUOTE ]
Worse - the idiot people I work with. With 1 or 2 exceptions it's like a Down's syndrome benefit every day. They can't type, they can't negotiate a basic Windows environment (that's your [censored] job idiot, figure it the [censored] out) and they generally make me want to smoke a shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, you know what a good idea would be? Find a different job.

You seem to be the type of nit who isn't happy unless they are able to piss and moan about everything in their life.

Wahhh, my boss is an idiot. Guess what, he's an idiot that was able to do his job well enough to get promoted.

Wahhh, the regulars at the bar I frequent turn on the Yankee game. Well, not everyone wants to watch CNN after work. Some people like sports.

Wahhh, I have to pay full price for drinks. Go find another bar.

Wahhh, I work with idiots. If they're so stupid, why do they have the same job as you, and make just as much as you. Looks like someone was life leveled.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Better: Crazy jewish guy that lives a couple buildings over on the third floor. He's on his balcony probably 60% of the time I walk by and yells "Hello sir, how are you?" and other things. Often they are about the weather, he loves to point out that when it's raining or snowing you know the way the wind blows. Other times he'll throw out a Shabbat shalom or Hashem is looking over you. He has some sort of brain issue I'm sure but he pretty much always puts a smile on my face. I'm going to miss him when I move in August.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM

Better:

Grandparents: The only close family I have near me. They depend on me and it makes me feel good to help them out.

Girlfriend: Really cool chill girl. I have the best time with her, plus she lets me have sex with her.

Boss: Just gave me an enormous raise last week, that will really improve the quality of my life for the years to come.

Worse:

My best-friend's fiancee: Basically lost my best-friend cause she's such a "C" word.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, Dids wants specific people.

worse: Some coworkers. We see lawyers expense reports. I often hear "OMG, they spent $200 on a dinner with a client. I wish I could do that and have the firm pick it up." Once an email mistakenly got to our department instead of payroll, and we were able to see a new associates starting salary plus signing bonus. Idiots went berzerk. Another favorite quote here is "All I need is $50000 and my life would be so much better." OH really? Would it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making the same mistake you're implying others do. Just because your life wouldn't be notably better if you made $50k(maybe it would be worse, I have no idea what you make), doesn't mean others' wouldn't be completely turned around. I wonder if you are aware how much those guys busting a nut over $50k make themselves and how hard it is to get by and save up a little something on what they make. Also, the difference between $50k and 18 or 25k is gargantuan compared to the difference between $50k and 75 or 80k.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worse - the hoodlums who live on my block. I can't even take my TV out of the back seat of my car (under a blanket that I am covering it with) because these freaking wannabe gangsters would probably rob me right on the spot. They chill there all day and all night, wandering around the block, standing in front of the barber shop, etc. [censored] useless deuchebag punks. The cops don't even drive down my street. I am strongly considering getting a giant confederate flag, a cowboy hat and a shotgun and sitting on the porch 24/7 blasting banjo music and drinking miller lite in order to combat this offensive display of human baseness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can dig it. I used to have several neighbors like this, who could be fully summed up as doing nothing positive and only detracting from the existence of everyone else -- including themselves, who they were slowly destroying. Many of them thankfully were evicted and/or convicted. WTF at career choice of being not just a loser, which is how things shake out sometimes, but a total douchebag who does no good whatsoever for anybody at all. I wish these guys would all go kill themselves.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 PM

mbillie,

dont alienate the local hoods, befriend them, get a case of beer, tell them you dont drink this kind of beer and give it to them, or something like that. the best insurance policy you can have from getting robbed/etc is to have the local wannabes watching out for you.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Dids,

Force the old biddy out. She makes your job a living hell? Make hers worse. She'll retire sooner or later.

That's what happened to the tenured prof that used to teach my sections. She was an embarrassment, but had tenure. They gave he 3 or 4 sections in 4 different buildings, gave her no TAs for grading, etc.

Just because you can't fire someone doesn't mean you can't get rid of them.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Borodog,

She's within 2 years of retiring I believe.

I'm too nice/good to make her quit. She badly needs this job (her family is [censored], she's got all kinds of health issues) so for now I grin and I cope. If I could fire her, I would, but I'm not doing to do something unethical to force her out. I know that's kinda weird reason, but it works for me.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My best-friend's fiancee: Basically lost my best-friend cause she's such a "C" word.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's really your best friend, shouldn't you have done something about this by now?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wahhh, my boss is an idiot. Guess what, he's an idiot that was able to do his job well enough to get promoted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Peter Principle FTW