Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: buying first set of clubs, what should i avoid?

Look on craigslist too. It is the bomb for cheap club sets.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 PM

if your just starting, any beginner set over $300 is a waste (and I really want to say $200). What I mean though is you don't have to spend over 2-300 to get a decent set if you need to learn the basics. Fitting, etc comes much later.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if your just starting, any beginner set over $300 is a waste (and I really want to say $200). What I mean though is you don't have to spend over 2-300 to get a decent set if you need to learn the basics. Fitting, etc comes much later.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i spent $150 on this, then a bit more for balls/glove etc., definitely think i got a great deal given its got all the clubs i need and seems like i can spend a while on this til i decide im addicted enough to start getting the more advanced stuff
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

for people advocating he get custom fit, while it is important, there really isnt much to it. its quite simple, just go into a store with one of those golf simulators to check for swing speed. that will tell you the flex you need. then take a piece of impact tape on the bottom of the club and swing once or twice and look at it. Do that several times to get a little bigger sample size. This will tell you your lie. The take more impact tape and put it on the club face and hit about 3 shots. Do that several times as well and look at where majority of your hits are coming from. If all you shots are dead center the length is perfect, if its on the toe its too short and if they are all near the heel it is too long. Most adjustments that are done a really minute and wont make a big impact on higher handicaps where the swing isnt as consistent as lets say a 8-10 handicaps swing. Normally the length is only +- a half inch and the lie is usually only tweaked a degree or two so really high handicaps dont benefit that much from custom fitting. But as you start getting down to about a 15 handicap then you will want to look into getting custom fit as that means your swing is getting more consistent and then you will be able to find out what kind of tweakage needs to be done.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

paragraphs dude, paragraphs