Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Michael Moore\'s new film: Sicko

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, if the government pays for it, it's free!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen the film already (it's leaked), and people pay based on their ability.. so for the poorest people it literally is free, as those with more money are paying for it.

The point is you at least never get in a situation where you are stuck with an astronomical bill you can never get away from.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A big problem with the insurance companies is that they spend a ridiculous amount of time and money trying to avoid paying for someone's claim. If they can get off on a technicality or there is any question whatsoever, they won't pay. So even if you have insurance, you aren't really covered a lot of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is what AC's will ignore, for example in the film a woman was told by her insurance company that an operation for her brain tumor was not "life threatening" I kid you not, so they didn't have to pay for it. She died a year later.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Now the problem with Moore's movies, is that he admitted they were opinion pieces, and he admitted that he manipulated them to reflect his opinion.

So why should I believe the insurance company really said her brain tumor was not life threatening? (I'm not a doctor by the way, this could be the case, depending on where it is located)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now the problem with Moore's movies, is that he admitted they were opinion pieces, and he admitted that he manipulated them to reflect his opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Documentaries are always going to be opinion pieces, pretty much by definition. I don't see how they could not be.

[ QUOTE ]
So why should I believe the insurance company really said her brain tumor was not life threatening? (I'm not a doctor by the way, this could be the case, depending on where it is located)

[/ QUOTE ]

They have the actual documentation, letters, etc. from the insurance company showing all this. I doubt it's just made up, that would be very difficult and he would get sued by the HMO, for one. Plus it's just.. well really horrible.

For Moore to make that up, he'd have to basically pay a ton of people off, and make up fake letters, fake MRI's... beyond silly.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we had some kind of universal health care coverage, people would get a lot more preventative care and we'd stop a lot of these cases from developing.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY. This is total fantasy.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And this is what AC's will ignore, for example in the film a woman was told by her insurance company that an operation for her brain tumor was not "life threatening" I kid you not, so they didn't have to pay for it. She died a year later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think AC's would ignore this? Personally I think the system we have is horrible and the insurance companies are a large part of the problem.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we had some kind of universal health care coverage, people would get a lot more preventative care and we'd stop a lot of these cases from developing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is controversial. If doctor's visits were free wouldn't people go more often? If people went more often wouldn't the doctors catch problems in their infancy before they become severe?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think AC's would ignore this? Personally I think the system we have is horrible and the insurance companies are a large part of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, if we just removed government from all this things would be great.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is controversial. If doctor's visits were free wouldn't people go more often? If people went more often wouldn't the doctors catch problems in their infancy before they become severe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetically is the government gave all hospitals blank checks it would happen. But the individual hospitals would probably still have to work within a budget.

The problem is that you can find tons of problems with a full private healthcare system. But with that system you have the choice to go to a different provider. You can find those same problems with universal healthcare but you don't have the ability to choose a different provider.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetically is the government gave all hospitals blank checks it would happen. But the individual hospitals would probably still have to work within a budget.

The problem is that you can find tons of problems with a full private healthcare system. But with that system you have the choice to go to a different provider. You can find those same problems with universal healthcare but you don't have the ability to choose a different provider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously there would be numerous problems with any sort of universal healthcare coverage. All I was saying was that if checkups were free, people would get more checkups, and this would mean that lots of health problems would be dealt with before they became more severe.

As it stands right now, many uninsured and poorer people don't get regular checkups and only visit the doctor/hospital when their minor problems become grave issues. I don't know what the answer to the health care question is. But a universal health care system would address this problem well.