Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: WJC: Gore/Obama very likely

Gore/Obama wins the general election

Hillary/Anybody loses. Giuliani could do the debate in drag, it won't matter.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that Obama is not even remotely qualified to be president. His resume makes Thompson look like Reagan or Eisenhower...

I actually think the toughest ticket for the Dems to beat would be Rudy-Newt. And I think Gore-Richardson is easily the Dems best shot. But, people vote for the president. With the rather large exception of LBJ in '60, the VP hardly ever affects the election.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, considering this thread was discussing a Gore-Obama ticket (in that order), is Obama qualified for vice president and if not, how exactly does one become qualified?

also, why do you think a rudy-newt ticket would be the toughest to beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rudy-Newt could be the "all-adultery" ticket. It would certainly take away one attack on Hillary and her family.

Kidding aside, Gore-Obama would be an extremely formidable ticket and could take down most opponents. However, Gore's window of opportunity is closing fast. He would need to raise a ton of money in little time.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Can't Gore use Obama's money? Also, Gore is worth 100m.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could anyone vote for Gore? If he ran he'd be proving himself a liar and that's reason enough to vote against him by itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you referring to? I don't think Gore has ever definitively said he wasn't going to run for president.

[/ QUOTE ]

He hasn't. He's just said that he doesn't have plans or expectations to run. Which people say all the time. But we're talking about Al Gore here, so obv when he says it it means he's a liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he had, but I looked into it and I can't find any evidence of it. Guess I misinterpreted something or heard something from someone else who'd misinterpreted (possibly intentionally) something. *shrug* This has nothing to do with Al Gore, so you can drop your silly and misplaced sarcasm, just what I thought I'd heard.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't Gore use Obama's money? Also, Gore is worth 100m.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't factor in his personal wealth, but no way Obama is laying down until someone wins the nomination (unless he has some catastrophic misstep - although that would probably take away his VP chances as well).
Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 PM

If gore simply enters the race 2-4 weeks before the election he takes Iowa and NH...the bigger question is super tuesday in terms of the money. All of the left, along with most of the grass roots dems will move to Gore in an instant..and the moderates will probably follow.

Hillary is praying to god that gore doesnt enter.

Obama is as qualified as Thompson and he apparantly is already annoited the nominee by the retards on the rights.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I always thought it plainly obvious that Gore would enter. He has kept himself perfectly in the public eye, and has reformed his image into "compassionate" and has been on a few showsl ike SNL making fun of himself etc. Everything he has done since 2000, including not running in 2004, has been setting up himself for 2008.

He has been so [censored] smug after the disaster of Bush, but he is smug in a way where he is trying so hard to not be smug that he is actually incredibly smug, if that makes sense. I would almost like him more if every time he was on TV he was like "HEY REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD HAVE ELECTED ME INSTEAD OF BUSH!?!?!??! GREAT JOB THERE AMERICA, HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Also Gore wins any election and its not even close his running mate could be a [censored] tree or a blue whale and he still gets 60%.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 AM

Yeah, I find it pretty likely that if Gore enters, he wins...

1) 2000 is still definitely in a lot of Democrats' minds. MANY big-time members of the Democratic party still feel that Gore should be serving his last couple of years right now...if he enters, they will instantly run to him.

2) 2000 WILL be on the country's mind should he enter the race. The contrast will be SHARP between what America could have had and what we have had and desperately want to get rid of. There would be a whole lot of disenfranchised Bush voters who would send him a big middle finger by voting for Gore in '08.

3) As has been mentioned, his image is MILES ahead of where it was when he ran. Then, he was running in the shackles of Bill's personal [censored]-ups. He was tripping over himself to prove that he was "his own man" and as a result, he almost ran like he was NOT the incumbent VP. Now, his personal image has been reformed as a guy who knows and is comfortable with himself. That, in turn, makes Americans comfortable.

4) He's both experienced in politics (more qualified than anyone else running) AND a recent political "outsider," given that he hasn't been in government for almost a decade. Sure, he's remained involved, but more at the grassroots activism level than the policy or legislative level.

5) He's been right about almost everything.

6) The personal caricatures have already been done. Seriously, what do you attack him over now? Do you rehash the internet or Love Story stuff? I think most people now know that those critiques, while perhaps humorous, were based on false premises. You could attack his Clinton-Gore record, but I think most people would see a return to those policies as a blessing given the Bush administration's many dismal failures. Anything to attack from the last eight years? Passionately crusading for the environment, being "in before lock" on a war that people now hate, writing a thoughtful critique of the American political discussion, winning an Oscar (I suppose the right will try to villify him as "Hollywood," but meh), possibly winning a Nobel Peace Prize? Just what exactly is the right going to attack? Working for Apple, a company everybody seems to love? Teaching some college?

This is the biggest reason I see him winning. It's pretty hard to come up with fresh ways to reduce him to a caricature. They already did that...and he still got more votes nation-wide (and probably in Florida, too). Now, his demeanor is much more presidential, his persona much more above the fray, his positions proven right the way only time can do. If he runs, he wins. Who do the Republicans have who can beat him?

BTW, on running mate should he run...

I would love nothing more than for Obama to be Veep in that situation. But I agree with an earlier poster (or perhaps a poster from another thread) who said Richardson would be the smarter choice. He hands you 5 electoral votes in New Mexico that otherwise would be a contest. He shores up California's 55 with no need to even fight there. He puts Arizona's 10 electoral votes up for grabs.

And call me crazy...go ahead. But Texans can't stand New Yorkers. IF the Republicans are running a former NYC mayor and the Democrats run a very popular Hispanic governor from next door, I could see Texas being competitive. It's not as conservative as you might think...especially with the last two elections involving a Texan running for the Republicans. Richardson would mobilize the largest Hispanic turnout in history...and I might not be giving the voter base enough credit, but I believe he would stem and greatly reverse the tide of Hispanic Catholics voting Republican...at least for this election...because I know from personal experience how badly that community craves a voice nationally. Do I think Texas will go blue? Probably not. But a Rudy/X vs. Gore/Richardson race could make Texas a battleground Republicans have to throw money at...which would be a big loss in and of itself considering how many large, independent markets they'd have to buy ad-time in in order to reach the state.

Electorally, Richardson makes more sense. Obama would have to fare awfully well in the primaries in order for the national groundswell to outweigh the targeted impact of Richardson. Illinois and the black vote would easily head Gore's way either way...but it WOULD (sadly) alienate certain white male voters who would consider the ticket if a much less-threatening sounding minority like "Bill Richardson" were the second name on the ticket.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Not that it means much, but Richardson has said many times there is no possible way he would accept SOS or VP. He views them as downgrades from Governor.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that it means much , but Richardson has said many times there is no possible way he would accept SOS or VP. He views them as downgrades from Governor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the key part - VP is virtually handing yourself the nomination 8 years down the road (barring a 1-term presidency). He would be crazy to turn it down.