Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: is there a question a utilitarian cannot answer?

-the_scalp

my understanding is that most (if not then many) utilitarians do not intend people to ask what is best for the general welfare but rather to ask what is best for the individual.

you know the whole argument, market forces maximize efficiency and general welfare through the pursuit of self-interested motives. the invisible hand and all...
Old 06-24-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: is there a question a utilitarian cannot answer?

There are certainly different utilitarinisms, but what you're describing doesn't sound like much that I've heard of before. I think that many firm utilitarians do end up acting in the manner you described (hedonistically) and calling it utilitarianism by providing tortured justifications for how their self-serving behavior ends up serving humanity as a whole.

I'm not sure I see why any thinking person would actually believe that a bunch of self-interested agents acting with no regard for the good of the whole would miraculously formulate societal orders where the greatest good was served. This kind of utilitarianism would have no response to the "two child rapers and a child" on an island types of arguments.

I'm suspicious of pure capitalism for many of the same kinds of reasons, actually. But I certainly think you're correct in noting a connection between unnuanced capitalism and the adolescant belief that utter egoism/hedonism is the best way to advance general utility.