Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Vinny Vinh dead or pokernews wrong?

I heard from his backer that he's alive and that he's done this before. If I had to guess, I would say his current substance problem is meth not crack. Crack doesn't hasten the physical changes that were evident in Vinny the way I understand meth does.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard from his backer that he's alive and that he's done this before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Backing people seems like a dicy enough proposition without laying this type of [censored] on top of it. I'm surprised he has a backer that has been through this more than once.

Congratulations on your cash.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard from his backer that he's alive and that he's done this before. If I had to guess, I would say his current substance problem is meth not crack. Crack doesn't hasten the physical changes that were evident in Vinny the way I understand meth does.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, good news hes alive. It still sucks pretty bad he got blinded off from being in 2nd place after day 1.

btw- nice cash [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Vinny Vinh!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know why but this post makes me super happy, I guess I just hate the concept of someone killing themselves because of drugs, even though i never have and never will meet the guy.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know why but this post makes me super happy, I guess I just hate the concept of someone killing themselves because of drugs, even though i never have and never will meet the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm, if hes addicted to meth and is so sick that he had to drop out of the tourney then its not exactly like he is 'living life' nor is he expected to live long.

Unless he missed day 2 because someone dragged his ass into rehab then for all intents and purposes Vinny Vinh is dead
Old 06-09-2007, 06:41 PM

hope hes ok. he was great on that one wpt with the magician [ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm, if hes addicted to meth and is so sick that he had to drop out of the tourney then its not exactly like he is 'living life' nor is he expected to live long.

Unless he missed day 2 because someone dragged his ass into rehab then for all intents and purposes Vinny Vinh is dead

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2007, 06:41 AM

Could be heroin, also has that same gaunt look. Given Vinny's usual disposition, I'm not sure he could be functional on meth for any lenght of time. With his inherant rage problem, meth would certainly be a fast one-way ticket to paranoia land. I would lean toward heroin or another opiate-based drug mainlined

In fact, the last time Vinny did this, (that I remember anyway), way during the CA State Champ. Almost exact same situation, was one of the chip-leaders and ended up blinding off 21st, I believe. But somebody had found him, so everyone knew he was in the hospital, they just tried not to say from what.

Weird, huh. Some kind of Karmic sign for him maybe. Having a drug habit and letting it rage out of control so you cannot play poker, IS BAD.

I hope the backing agreement now has a clause forcing successful detox, and for him to stay clean. It's kind of a weird person to be doing it, but since they are friends, if he doesn't want to lose him, he really needs to use it to leverage him. Otherwise, he will never go.

Best of luck to Vinny, his friends and family. I know what is like to be in the hospital, and for whatever reason, you always just what to get better and leave. May the blessings of your beliefs shine upon you.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:30 AM

ESPN actually ran a story about this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...amp;id=2900500

Really kind of a shame.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:25 AM

Nice of Gary to give twoplustwo a plug.

I hope that he asked Shannon and Shane if he could quote their posts in his article. He is under no obligation to do so, of course, but quoting people's posts without their permission will lead to a lot of young pros being more careful about what they say on these fourms.

(Because really, does anyone want Newhizzle to hold his tongue for fear that Gary's contemporaries will quote him about oxy or 'anal for buyins' when they write that Pulitzer prize winning article about BrandiRose)

Hopefully Gary, Shane, or Shannon will chime in on whether he asked for permission to quote their posts.