FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Fallout 3 Trailer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm so pumped for this. I'll be very sad if it's not turn based. i thought the combat in the previous games was phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't like it. It was a lot like the first X-Com, which everyone was crazy about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't sell to the Halo buying college jocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you think it's gonna be Halo or Doom or even Diablo, you won't like what you get.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pity now that because of the scaling up of development costs these big games have to appeal to such a broad base of people. FWIW I just started playing the original X-com again and I still love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's great until you get psychic control, then it's game over for enemy

it's a lot of fun to do multiplayer w/ xcom, and split a squad and go to opposite ends of the map.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm so pumped for this. I'll be very sad if it's not turn based. i thought the combat in the previous games was phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't like it. It was a lot like the first X-Com, which everyone was crazy about.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you think it's gonna be Halo or Doom or even Diablo, you won't like what you get.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pity now that because of the scaling up of development costs these big games have to appeal to such a broad base of people. FWIW I just started playing the original X-com again and I still love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's amazing that they've tried so many times and still can't get right a remake. (Well, except for the second X-Com, which was the same but anyway still not quite as good). All they have to do is upgrade the graphics and I'm perfectly fine with the game exactly as it was. But instead they always try to change the gameplay(!!!) instead of giving everyone the game they loved.

Man, I miss how atmospheric and fun that game was. I've almost never found anything in a game scary, but the original X-Com had me shocked and practically leaping out of my seat regularly.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's amazing that they've tried so many times and still can't get right a remake. (Well, except for the second X-Com, which was the same but anyway still not quite as good). All they have to do is upgrade the graphics and I'm perfectly fine with the game exactly as it was. But instead they always try to change the gameplay(!!!) instead of giving everyone the game they loved.

Man, I miss how atmospheric and fun that game was. I've almost never found anything in a game scary, but the original X-Com had me shocked and practically leaping out of my seat regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried xcom apocalypse? Still pretty old but you can play that all turn based if you want to. It's based within a city rather than the whole world but I still think it's really good. Plus you can try

http://www.projectxenocide.com/

not sure how far along they are but they've been at this non-remake remake for a while now.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Is that the third one? I remember one came out that sounded like what you describe, but its monsters were bafflingly uninspired -- they looked like lumps of dough. I read reviews saying it was buggy as hell too.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the third one? I remember one came out that sounded like what you describe, but its monsters were bafflingly uninspired -- they looked like lumps of dough. I read reviews saying it was buggy as hell too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the third one. You can almost certainly get it for $5 now if not free

in fact here

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2428

it's worth a shot at the price [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Gamespy has a preview up today. Apparently the game is meant to be played in first person. *sigh*

They say third person will be an option, but I'm used to seeing "options" mean "a vastly inferior, sometimes unworkable way of playing."

I'm so sick of seeing great third-person games turned into yet another damn FPS.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Here's IGN's preview from July 1st

Gist: It's not going to Oblivion 2. It's going to be Knights of the Old Republic 3. Much better fit at least.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say third person will be an option, but I'm used to seeing "options" mean "a vastly inferior, sometimes unworkable way of playing."

[/ QUOTE ]

I forget what preview it was, but I read somewhere that the 3rd person camera has been greatly improved since oblivion where it was basically an after thought. The preview also said that you can zoom so far out of 3rd person that it almost looks like the isometric view from the original. Im actually surprised how close they are getting to the originals, this is not going to be post apocalyptic oblivion like many people thought.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's IGN's preview from July 1st

Gist: It's not going to Oblivion 2. It's going to be Knights of the Old Republic 3. Much better fit at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I remember the days when Bethesda installation programs were so idiotically written that their games were sometimes impossible to install, and even worse, often wound being uninstallable and crashing and permanently altering systems.