Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Bots and the future of online poker

hasugopher: I agree. If somebody built a robot to play exactly like one of the better poker book systems available then by substitution you get the statement:

"any solid player should be able to exploit a poker-book-system player."

Then the discussion revolves around:

The quality of the poker book system
The accuracy of implementation by the robot builder

If the book system is good and the programmer did a good job then I think your characterization of "a joke" would apply to anybody claiming such an opponent is easy to beat.

If the book system is bad or the programmer did a bad job then I think it's fair to say that the robot player would go down in flames against a good human opponent.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM

there is no way bots can handle a real player in NL, keep dreaming. how will it make decisions based off so little information?

it doesnt have intuition, it will be like catching someone in an unbreakable chain combo in killer instinct, we find that doing something causes a certain reaction and just make it hand us money.

basically the bots wont be able to adapt as quickly, and whatever algorithm it bases its decisions off of will be highly exploitable. Either it will be highly bluffable, unbluffable and highly value bet vulnerable or it will be a random variance surfing spewbot.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any solid player should be able to exploit a bot easily

im not worried

[/ QUOTE ]

Some solid players are
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM

I am not worried. Won a lot over 4 years. Money in the bank. When bot's rule it's off to travelling and playing live poker around the world
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not worried. Won a lot over 4 years. Money in the bank. When bot's rule it's off to travelling and playing live poker around the world

[/ QUOTE ]

There will never be a day when "bots" rule. They have already been playing against you 24/7 more than you realize.

If you're already doing well then chances are you'll continue as you were. If this were the stock market then the price of the stock has already taken into account the fact that bot are already playing each and every day 24/7.

Most of what is said in threads like this is myth and hype.

RIIT
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

What evidence do you base your statements on?

I figure if it happens, it happens and I move on, there is nothing I can do to prevent this from happening if it is possible to build a good enough bot.

However, there are billions at stake for the poker sites and I have full confidence that they will do everything they can to protect their cash cows.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, there are billions at stake for the poker sites and I have full confidence that they will do everything they can to protect their cash cows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, you guys are naive.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say youre correct and the sites are unconcerned about bots and losing business when it becomes common knowledge taht the games are filled with bots. What could we possibly do?

Absolutely nothing.

While my position my be naive, it is the only chance we have to keep making money on line if what the OP states comes to be.

I believe in greed. The sites have all the motivation in the world to protect their investments. Even the short sighted sites will see that an unexpoitable bot infestation will kill off their business. The fish that didn't leave on the advice of guys like me would be decimated twice as quickly between the rake and the bots
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say youre correct and the sites are unconcerned about bots and losing business when it becomes common knowledge taht the games are filled with bots. What could we possibly do?

Absolutely nothing.

While my position my be naive, it is the only chance we have to keep making money on line if what the OP states comes to be.

I believe in greed. The sites have all the motivation in the world to protect their investments. Even the short sighted sites will see that an unexpoitable bot infestation will kill off their business. The fish that didn't leave on the advice of guys like me would be decimated twice as quickly between the rake and the bots

[/ QUOTE ]

The sites only concern is perception, which is very easy to maintain. In reality they need not do anything to discourage bots. The only thing they need to be concerned with is maintaining an image of fair gaming. This is easily accomplished by responding to players complaints about bots. When one is suspected its reported. They then run some sort of investigation and determine if its a bot or not. Even if they are wrong they still win the battle of perception. Banning one person and confinscating funds and returning funds make for great PR.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sites only concern is perception, which is very easy to maintain. In reality they need not do anything to discourage bots. The only thing they need to be concerned with is maintaining an image of fair gaming. This is easily accomplished by responding to players complaints about bots. When one is suspected its reported. They then run some sort of investigation and determine if its a bot or not. Even if they are wrong they still win the battle of perception. Banning one person and confinscating funds and returning funds make for great PR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they need not do anything at all. The online game is "fair" by default as long as the site is honest itself (i.e. they shuffle fairly and don't hint players).

Every online player has equal access to every type of computer assistance available. There is no reason for a site to get involved in what players choose to do in the online game as long as the site offers honest mechanics in the first place.

RIIT