Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Being Homeless

[ QUOTE ]
I would advise travelling as light as possible, especially if you plan on moving around a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be stressed enough.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's certainly incredibly illegal unless you aren't a USA citizen in which case I made a bad assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made a bad assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about cbloom. I believe I was aware you aren't.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave leather couches widescreen TV and DVD to my folks (as a sweetner to me "dropping out" and becoming a full time degen) and stored the rest in their attic. Doesn't sound like this is an option for you?

Honestly, once you are free of this "stuff" you will feel like a new man. Take the hit if you have to sell at a loss, it's well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooo true. I love my life fitting in 2 suitcases. It's a great feeling.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The RTW ticket was great value, something like 600GBP for 7 flights, definitely the most cost-effective way to travel. You have to predefine your dates of travel, but they can always be changed to suit (for free when I did it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, where the hell did you get this???
Old 05-27-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I purchased my tickets from STA Travel.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I purchased my tickets from STA Travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I shall now be looking into this. That is insanely cheap.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Basically I've come to realize that the US and Europe have become insanely expensive compared to the rest of the world, and living an ordinary life isn't worth it.

I've also become really fed up with the accumulation of "stuff". I feel like I keep buying more junk for my apartment and it's just more junk to move and it ties me down. It sucks though cuz now I'm gonna have to sell a ton of good stuff at a loss or get a huge storage locker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't you fix both of these problems by just trying to dial back on the consumerism? Sure, standard living costs are still going to be more expensive here, but I doubt your financial situation is such that you're scraping by. If you don't want to save all the money to buy stuff (if not now, then in the future) because you're sick of stuff, then what's the problem with expense?

I'd imagine this is not the only reason you're traveling, so I'm not trying to dissuade you, just commenting.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Audi, are you a real "PT" in the sense that you're not paying taxes any more? Have you guys got foreign bank accounts and all that?

[/ QUOTE ]

What gives you the impression this is a good idea? It's certainly incredibly illegal unless you aren't a USA citizen in which case I made a bad assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I thought it was a good idea, I was asking because as I mentioned before the true "Perpetual Traveler" system involves not paying taxes and basically becoming a citizen of nowhere; it's partly a philosophy opposed to government control of human beings, eg. ultra libertarian. This is really a separate topic and I'm not really thinking of that at the moment, but was curious if anyone was doing it. If you read some of the links I put in earlier you'll see a rough outline of the system involving 5 or 7 countries.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Audi, are you a real "PT" in the sense that you're not paying taxes any more? Have you guys got foreign bank accounts and all that?

[/ QUOTE ]

What gives you the impression this is a good idea? It's certainly incredibly illegal unless you aren't a USA citizen in which case I made a bad assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I thought it was a good idea, I was asking because as I mentioned before the true "Perpetual Traveler" system involves not paying taxes and basically becoming a citizen of nowhere; it's partly a philosophy opposed to government control of human beings, eg. ultra libertarian. This is really a separate topic and I'm not really thinking of that at the moment, but was curious if anyone was doing it. If you read some of the links I put in earlier you'll see a rough outline of the system involving 5 or 7 countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a horrible idea since you will eventually end up perpetually traveling in a US prison doing this. Can't give up your citizenship either because it's pretty hard to travel with a passport from nowhere.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I definitely want my monitor if I'm gonna be playing some poker. Poker on the laptop screen is not tolerable! Do you just lug your cases around when you travel? I assume I should get one of those power converter dealies too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean by "cases." My good suitcase has internal straps that can be used to secure the monitor and I pack clothes and/or bubble wrap around it for added protection. I always get a little nervous because I know that it's going to break if it gets dropped or thrown from a significant height no matter how much padding I have. No problems so far and remember to stock up on Fragile labels--some airlines don't have them.

Having so much stuff isn't a problem because I'm only lugging the bags from the airport to my hotel or apartment. I then use this as a "home base" to explore other places in the region and can leave most of my stuff at home.

It was a liberating feeling to get rid of most of the crap/clothes/furniture I had accumulated over the years. I sold about 1/3 of it, gave 1/3 away (some to friends and Goodwill, but most I put out in my yard/sidewalk on a busy street on a Saturday--that was an interesting experience), and put everything I couldn't bear to part with in storage. So now all of my worldly possessions consist of two cubic yards of stuff in a storage facility and whatever I can cram into two suitcases and a carryon.

[ QUOTE ]
All you guys get furnished apartments or sublets I assume; is it a problem getting places with internet? (I know KKF has written about this before).

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a problem if you're living in a 1st-world country. Someplace like Thailand, you need to find a place with an existing connection because it can take a month to get it installed. You should be able to find this in any major city but it will significantly impact your housing options . Make sure you test the speed before signing anything.

[ QUOTE ]
My parents are kind of lazy/busy so I don't really want to ask them to handle my mail for me. I think I might send it to my little brother and pay him $20/month or something to deal with it for me. Maybe I'll "move in with him" to get my address out of CA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Make sure you leave him money to physically forward mail to you if necessary. Eventually you'll lose your debit card or your insurance company will send you a new card and you'll need to get these asap.