Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: My new favorite person: Christopher Hitchens

I've seen him when he's looked like he just woke up from a three-day drunk.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boris,

Top of my head, he's one of those bizzare anti-Clinton zealots who abandonded all the reason you folks were in love with when they enter the discussion.

Based on what I know, he's one of those peopel so far to the right/left that the line between is blurred.

I haven't paid as much attention to him as I did in the past when I cared more about this stuff, but I recall recoiling reading a lot of what he said in the past. Maybe he's shaped up, who knows, wouldn't be the first time he's had a huge change in mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not immune to taking positions a lot of people don't like. But like anyone, you take the good with the bad.

The nice thing about this guy, though, is there actually IS some good to take with the bad. Most of the political things you read and hear in popular media are just piss poor blather. At least this guy studies up on issues and is more than just a concerned looking spokesmodel or ill-disguised public relations cog.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dids is right on in this thread. he is unstable, mean, and often wrong. he's frequently drunk and volatile and entertaining though.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed. He's also completely iconoclastic, which means whatever opinion he's espousing, it's his, and not some party line. Though I think about 80% of what he says is [censored], I'd still rather watch/listen to him than some dronebot of any political stripe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He's not averse to flat out insulting the intelligence of those he disagrees with, but since he's a fantastic writer and makes some biting points, he's easily worth a read, especially his columns.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Here is another one of his debates(in text).

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/.../119-12.0.html

I don't think it's finished yet.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boris,

Top of my head, he's one of those bizzare anti-Clinton zealots who abandonded all the reason you folks were in love with when they enter the discussion.

Based on what I know, he's one of those peopel so far to the right/left that the line between is blurred.

I haven't paid as much attention to him as I did in the past when I cared more about this stuff, but I recall recoiling reading a lot of what he said in the past. Maybe he's shaped up, who knows, wouldn't be the first time he's had a huge change in mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's still dead on with his comments about Fallwell.

I still think it's sick how much the media is showering admiration on Fallwell.

b
Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dids is right on in this thread. he is unstable, mean, and often wrong. he's frequently drunk and volatile and entertaining though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think his meanness is particularly damning, since the targets of it usually deserve it. As far as his instability, I think you should clarify exactly what that means. Lastly, wrong according to whom? About what? I'm sure you'll be able to provide a list, but what will that do other than prove that he's not infallible? It certainly doesn't prove the dude is [censored] crazy.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Nobody's arguing he's not real smart, and I would think that no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, if you've got the least bit of a clue, you're going to know what time it is wrt to Fallwell.

It's kinda like most savy liberals not eactly being keen on Michael Moore.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just bitter that the new kid on the block knocked your boy Milch off the top of my list of Favorite People in the World.

Don't despair. I'm sure it's just a case of "What have you done for me lately?", and Milch will win me back next month. Hell, he's got Al Bundy on board for "JFC"? He's already mounting his comeback on my list.

("JFC" makes me think "Jesus [censored] Christ". I don't know anything about this show except for the pre-Sopranos trailers, but those initials are no coincidence, are they?)
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Dids maybe you could find a Hitchens article that reveals his lunacy? Have you read No One Left to Lie To? You might want to check it out. It's a great read and might cure you of your Clinton manlove.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Whenever Hitchens has an opinion on something I take it seriously. I may not always agree, but he's right a lot more often than he's wrong. As far as being a drunk, the guy has amazing productivity and is a lot sharper than most public figures even when shitfaced. (He's famous for liking his drink, but I think a good deal of that is just an act.)