Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Stop, (blind) thief!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have just a general question since players differ on this. Why do we raise, and thus limit the number of players, with great drawing hands like QJ suited, which gain value with more players in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because open-limping is for a-holes, and if there's already one limper in the pot I want to isolate them if I can -- because they suck and I want their money. And worst case scenario, at the games I play, I'll get 3-4 cold-callers which isn't even a bad scenario at all with a good multiway hand like QJs, but if it's just heads up, I have intiative since I raised, so he has to hit the flop to stick around.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't understand the subject line, "Stop (blind) thief". I thought this was going to be a thread on blind defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I was the blind thief. And he stopped me.... or did he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I get the point. It puzzled me and I wondered if you meant that title for a different post because there was already a limper so it didn't appear you were a blind theif.

About the raise with QJ suited, I'm not arguing the merit but just wondering about it in these types of games that are not tight. An isolation 3 bet often works but two bets seldom discourage these loose players. You likely will be in a three or four player pot with Q high. Yes, you do take control of the pot and may enhance your bluff ability on future streets with the show of strength. I just wonder whether maximizing your chances of winning sacrifices long term ev that is gained by playing one of the best drawing hands in a bigger multi-way pot. If some of your opponents are calling stations your strategy could be dangerous as you will likely have overcards to your queen in your opponents hands.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Stop, (blind) thief!

[ QUOTE ]
Nope not me. Pot's really small.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot's smaller bc you checked the turn. You probably have 11 outs to the best hand with this turn card. If you get c/r'd then this number goes down probably, but bet the turn.