Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Future doctor looking for poker friendly residency

[ QUOTE ]
Try something around the Edison, NJ to Newark, NJ corridor. You're about 2 hrs to Foxwoods to the north, 2 hours to Atlantic City to the south. Great, densely populated, high crime area to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great selling point! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Future doctor looking for poker friendly residency

Thank you to all those who have replied – constructive or otherwise. PMs on the way to those who offered.

A few thoughts:

1. Obviously if the choice is prestigious program with no convenient card room and Joe’s Hospital residency on the Vegas strip, I take the former. Poker at this point is the 3rd tie breaker.
2. If I asked which residencies offered convenience to great hiking (maybe the 4th tie breaker for me) would anyone care?
3. Poker is not my career choice (duh), just a serious hobby. I budget my time to excel in medical school and work on my game, and while I cannont speak personally about residency, those who think medical school students have no free time are clearly mistaken. Yes, it less free time than the boring 9-5, but I am in the middle of studying for my USMLE step1 – the toughest, longest exam I have yet to take – and I STILL have time to play a once a week home game and squeeze in a few hours online.
4. Who cares if your doctor plays poker? God forbid you knew every hobby/extracurricular activity of your mechanic/nanny/lawyer.
5. Oh, and I live in Chicago and would be happy to stay, but with the disaster of the Dan Ryan construction and the ridiculous rake at the Indiana riverboats, B&M poker is NOT convenient in my opinion.

Cheers