Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: 3k buy-in, big stacks, out in 5 minutes...am I stupid or badluck

idk, if ur rad was on like u said this is fine, it seems like ur being results oriented

i think this call is +EV in the long run, it seems more like ur mad u lost the 3k
Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering all his "possible" holdings it is clear your all-in call was wrong. 1800+1000+3000+6000+ his bet of essetianlly 19,000 required you to call your last 19K into a @31K pot. Suppose he has Ad kD you are a very small favorite 55%, if he has 777 you lose 83% of the time. Why would he call a raise preflop with Q 7 or A7 offsuit? You must be very very sure that he wouldn't limp wih AA or (less likely) even QQ.

Deep stack tournaments are lost early and won late, easy fold.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? The guy tabled A8 so A7 is definitely within his range. There are way to many donks in the world for me to fold on the flop unless I get some amazing read. Also, folding to save our tourney life is overrated since the event is only a 1 day event so there isn't nearly as much play as the title of the tourney leads on.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering all his "possible" holdings it is clear your all-in call was wrong. 1800+1000+3000+6000+ his bet of essetianlly 19,000 required you to call your last 19K into a @31K pot. Suppose he has Ad kD you are a very small favorite 55%, if he has 777 you lose 83% of the time. Why would he call a raise preflop with Q 7 or A7 offsuit? You must be very very sure that he wouldn't limp wih AA or (less likely) even QQ.

Deep stack tournaments are lost early and won late, easy fold.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy just tabled A8... how are we not giving a random donk credit for a wide variety of hands here? Whole post just puke puke
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 AM

the amount of "good" players/posters saying they would
A. Not raise preflop here.
B. Fold to the shove.
scares me.

Personally I would call the flop raise and get it in on a blank turn but folding this hand against a donkey who we have any sort of read on is horrible.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM

The flop is played bet/raise/reraise/reraise AI.

Its the first orbit of a deepstack tourney. I don't know how you can be so certain of your read here to call. I hate the way the whole hand was played, but this is how I would play 77 (limp pre-flop and call a pre-flop raise with deep stacks for implied odds) if i were the villian.

Are some of you suggesting smooth calling the flop and then pushing any non-diamond turn? What happened to pot control in tourneys like this?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM

To defend my 'stupid' play:

I had a total read on this guy. I knew this guy wanted to gamble, after overhearing he got in on a satellite. I kind of figured he had a draw. I'm not going to lay top two down even against a draw. You have to win these pots to win tournaments (donkaments). He MIGHT have had 77, but the way he played the hand, and his mannerisms, led me to believe he was on a draw... even a bigger one than he had. Something like J10 of diamonds. Even if I wasn't getting pot odds, I wanted to gamble to get those chips. It's crucial in tournaments to get a massive chip lead as quickly as possible. I thought the 'risk and reward' benefit was worth it.

I honestly felt this guy was not playing sneaky in that he originally limped with AA or QQ or 77 and smooth called my substantial bet. I'd like to consider myself a good reader when playing live, and putting people on hands. I kept with my instinct and went with it. After looking back on it a few days later, I would make the same call.

And lets say I had pocket aces, I'd still be up to relatively the same odds, and would almost have to call. It's very easy to be results-oriented and say I made a bad call. But I made a very good read and put my chips in as a good favorite yet still lost. As some say, that's poker. And to my credit, I handled it quite well. Got up, said "And that's what I drove 3 hours for (leaving out the to get outdrawn)... Good hand, good luck... that's poker" and was on my way home screaming at every car passing me by on my 3 hour drive... haha [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I had a total read on this guy. I knew this guy wanted to gamble, after overhearing he got in on a satellite. I kind of figured he had a draw. I'm not going to lay top two down even against a draw. You have to win these pots to win tournaments (donkaments). He MIGHT have had 77, but the way he played the hand, and his mannerisms, led me to believe he was on a draw... even a bigger one than he had. Something like J10 of diamonds. Even if I wasn't getting pot odds, I wanted to gamble to get those chips. It's crucial in tournaments to get a massive chip lead as quickly as possible. I thought the 'risk and reward' benefit was worth it.

I honestly felt this guy was not playing sneaky in that he originally limped with AA or QQ or 77 and smooth called my substantial bet. I'd like to consider myself a good reader when playing live, and putting people on hands. I kept with my instinct and went with it. After looking back on it a few days later, I would make the same call.

And lets say I had pocket aces, I'd still be up to relatively the same odds, and would almost have to call. It's very easy to be results-oriented and say I made a bad call. But I made a very good read and put my chips in as a good favorite yet still lost. As some say, that's poker. And to my credit, I handled it quite well. Got up, said "And that's what I drove 3 hours for (leaving out the to get outdrawn)... Good hand, good luck... that's poker" and was on my way home screaming at every car passing me by on my 3 hour drive... haha [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call your play 'stupid' just because some players on this forum don't agree with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand how you can have a "total read" on the first orbit.

If you have pocket aces, then you have flopped top set and currently hold the nuts. You also have way more outs to fill up than holding top two. This is a completely different scenario.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Ok reno, you're obviously better than me and know what you're talking about... I'll just shut up. I played it horrendous apparently being completely results oriented.

And how did I have a read on him? I did make the correct call putting myself at a near 70/30 advantage (I think it's 65 to be exact).

But yes reno, you are right. I read him wrong, put my chips in as an underdog, and got lucky to make it even that far in the tourney. I'll remember you next donkament I win.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very easy to be results-oriented and say I made a bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just retarded. If you want to be results-oriented then this is a very easy call. The only people saying it's a bad call are people advocating that 777 is so very likely.