Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Are The Odds Regarding Particles Definitely Independent Events?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I have often wondered whether the randomness associated with subatomic particles, 50% chance they will decay in 13 microseconds, 50% chance they spin up rather than down, etc. etc. is independent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It think its clear that know one knows.

However I think the universe is much more holistic than is normally assumed. We tend to put boundaries around things to make them easy for us to model. However in the real world I don’t think such boundaries exist. I would be amazed if such randomness was independent of the rest of the universe. I fully expect there are more accurate models of the universe, currently beyond us where the random factor completly drops out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hidden variable theory. This is also a hot topic of research and experimentation, also waiting for proof/disproof via the LHC.

Personally - and all we can really say at this point are 'I' statements - I don't mind interpreting quantum mechanics as the final tier of understanding nature. It seems fitting to me that the final level be completely and undeniably random. This is the only solution that leaves no room for determinism which I think is mathematically and naturally an ugly concept.