Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: I was attacked. Really weak sauce here.

[ QUOTE ]

Bottle-throwing-incident aside, What kind of BS is it to make your members cancel their membership via a certified letter to a corporate office for a gym that has one location?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the same way when I had to cancel my New York Sports Club membership a couple of years ago. They made me write a letter to their office. Pain in the ass, but I was out of state at the time, so I couldn't go into a branch and bitch at them or anything.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stuey is right about it being lame that you got in a yelling fight with the worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah definitely lame. I never get into serious arguments with employees that have no discretionary power. If it's a manager or owner, then gogogo. That said, her behavior was really out of line. I bet she felt really intimidated by you, and felt like she was just sticking up for herself though.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's actually assault and battery fwiw.

You don't need to hit someone to assault them (by the law), and something as little as spitting on someone is battery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it just assault? I thought that legally, battery has to be a frontal assault.

[/ QUOTE ]
No
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuey is right about it being lame that you got in a yelling fight with the worker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't yell at anyone. And FTR, this is the same girl who signed me up and told me about the cancellation process.

Again, I didn't yell. I was nearly sedated from an exhausting cardio session.

Edit: I got her mad by pointing out in short order how obvious the BS cancellation method was. And using words she didn't know the meaning of, either.

I think she realized that the cancellation procedure was BS, and that no one in the company has prescribed a reason for this new procedure, so she was left to defend it with no defense. Make sense?

She still didn't have to throw a bottle of water at me.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 AM

OOT has a fantastic way of turning blame back onto OPs. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not. Bottom line is that employees should not be throwing [censored] at customers.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM

i joined gold's gym years ago and at the time they told me i could "freeze" the membership for three months during the year at any time, "just let us know."

so a few years into the membership i wanted to freeze the membership for a month or two for some reason so i called them up to let them know the next billing cycle id like held. i was told that id have to send a certified letter and then it would take 30 days to be effective and then id be charged $13/month during the freeze cycle months. my normal monthly fee was $22/month.

i wrote my certified letter and cancelled instead. and one of the things that has to be included is reason for cancelling so i explained that i wanted to freeze my membership but the paperwork and fees they have in place to freeze make more sense for me to just cancel.

a few days later i got a message from someone at the gym saying they could waive their freezing fee and "let us know if you still want to cancel." it sounded as if they werent going to honor my letter and wanted a return phone call in order to cancel. i didnt call back and was hoping they would charge me again the next billing cycle. surprisingly though they didnt charge me again.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM

A: It's common knowledge that gym memberships are herder to cancel than most anything else ever.

B: I'd love to hear the other persons version of this same story and better yet, what actually happened verbatim.

C: Controversy seems to follow you.

Good luck canceling. I'm sure it will eventually happen.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM

LA Fitness has the same horrible policy for one.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Wow, I also hate Gold's Gym membership plans with a passion. Such garbage. Why not make the customer happy, and they may join again in the future instead of pissing them off so they not only never join again, but tell everyone they know that it is the worst gym ever?

Do they not see the big picture? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Idiots.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM

I have a hangover, and am not up to reading all of the posts, so I'm sorry if any of this is redundant.

I own and operate three businesses (yes, it's a brag--whatever), and we rely heavily on contracts. Particularly the cancellation clause.

Whatever your contract says is what you need to abide by. Don't even begin to let them tell you to do anything else. Dispute any and all charges with your bank. This is a serious no-brainer.

As for her throwing that water at you, I would write a letter to whatever entity appears on your contract, STRONGLY suggesting someone contact you back about "this matter," then I would ask for a settlement of AT LEAST all of the money you spent with them. Tell them you have a witness, and if they fail to respond, fake a lawyer letter.

F*ck these people. What a bunch of assh*les.