Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Pickup basketball incident....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. WTF at the people advocating 5 on 5. Any playground baller knows that 3 on 3 is optimal.

2. If it was 1-2 people, such that they couldn't really have a game otherwise, I'd let em play. Or if they didn't have a ball or you had the only good hoop.

3. Otherwise, tell that kid to [censored] off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If theres a full court, 5v5 > 3v3, obv 5v5 is too crowded for half court play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'm lazy cause 3v3 halfcourt >>5v5 full court.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say you're lazy. Usually 5 on 5 full court ends up with people who don't make it to both sides anyway. With people who actually know how to play basketball and actually play defense, set screens, etc, 3 on 3 half court is a much better workout. So, I don't think lazy is right.

To the OP, you didn't need to play against him if you don't want. I mean, different story if the other courts are taken, but they weren't.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. WTF at the people advocating 5 on 5. Any playground baller knows that 3 on 3 is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? full court is so much more fun
Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With people who actually know how to play basketball and actually play defense, set screens, etc, 3 on 3 half court is a much better workout

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, no way. With people who know how to play ball, full court is the ONLY type of game. Half court is just what happens when full court won't work.

WRT to OP, of course you can play with whoever you want (provided the courts were open and in good condition), so yea, he was a douche. But I guess it depends what kind of court you went to. At some places it's just a given that anyone who is there is there to compete with other people (not to donk around with their friends).
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 PM

lol, silly canadians
Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 PM

It seems like a LOT of respondents in this thread either don't play basketball or don't play it regularly.

The guy who said that half the players don't make it to the other end on 5-on-5 is correct; we play "short court" 4-on-4 at my gym (crosswise from the big court) and nobody, NOBODY wants to deal with the rigors of the full court, despite most players being fit, and many playing college ball.

Also, it appears that OP was having a "closed" game among friends. In case you're not aware, there are a ton of different levels of players, from the clueless/dangerous type who will undercut you without even realizing what they did, right up to the most skilled. It's really unlikely that OP's group and the random challengers were at the same level. I think it would be likely that guys that go out for "fun" game like this aren't very good and would get destroyed by a random group that showed up to challenge them.

A challenge like this should only be mandatory when there are no other courts open for them to play on. So you did fine, OP.

Also, once again doubLe a tom manages to come off like an incredible douche. Not sure how I didn't notice this before but he keeps wrecking threads in the Sports forum and managed to make a craptastic post or two in this thread.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like a LOT of respondents in this thread either don't play basketball or don't play it regularly.

The guy who said that half the players don't make it to the other end on 5-on-5 is correct; we play "short court" 4-on-4 at my gym (crosswise from the big court) and nobody, NOBODY wants to deal with the rigors of the full court, despite most players being fit, and many playing college ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not talking about a full sized gym, we're talking about an outdoor court (I assume). That's pretty much one of your short court anyways.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, once again doubLe a tom manages to come off like an incredible douche. Not sure how I didn't notice this before but he keeps wrecking threads in the Sports forum and managed to make a craptastic post or two in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM

sounds like you did nothing wrong.

and white men can't jump is an incredible film.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you need to tell your 2 crappy friends that they are now spectators.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how many new players show up and how many will play.
Let's say you're playing 3x3 and three new guys show up. The winners stay on and they play the next three. Or the winners stay on, the three losers shoot for two open spots, and you play 4x4 with one sitting out.
If four showed up, you have enough for 5x5 and you can pick new teams.
It doesn't matter how crappy the players are. If they're on the winning team, they hold court.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're not talking about a full sized gym, we're talking about an outdoor court (I assume). That's pretty much one of your short court anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could be. I haven't played on an outdoor court in >10 years. I know that our full size court is still shorter than NBA standards but not by too much. We're not exercise averse but play the game for the nuances, which the full size game tends to mitigate quite a bit.