Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Mayweather/De La Hoya fight - interest?

I can't imagine any matchup left in boxing that would generate half the interest this fight has. It sucks that boxing has gone so far downhill but this should be a great fight.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 PM

pj, it's a guy who's ranked as the #1 pound-for-pound boxer in the world vs. a boxing legend, the most popular fighter besides Tyson in the past 30 years.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No I live in an apt. I even have cable tv

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you dont watch boxing then? Thats all you have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love boxing, but the sport is in a downer. I've seen all of De la hoya's big fights, but none of MAYweathers. I can't remember seeing any big cards with his name on them. Probably cause he doesn't fight big time opponents, as someone else stated in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I guess I just dont understand how you've never seen ANY of his fights, considering he's one of the premier fighters of our time. He's beaten Arturo Gatti, Carlos Baldomir, Zab Judah, Angel Manfredy, etc. Surely you've heard of some of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys are tomato cans compared to him, though. Part of that is not Mayweather's fault, because he's just so good that it's hard to find someone he can fight that isn't an obvious easy win for him.

But he does seem to love the easy fights like Gatti. I mean, virtually nobody expected Gatti to have any kind of chance at all. And Gatti was of course humiliated. Baldomir got talked up because of his surprise win over Judah, but it was wishful thinking that a guy like him could beat Mayweather. Mayweather typically peppers long-shots like these with even longer shots. It makes him hard to follow and keeps him far from a big name. It's hard to get public interest up over a guy who is rarely challenged and never really tries to find a challenge either.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

Saturday May 5th, with a Kentucky Derby without a substantial favorite + this fight, might be the best sports day of the last 10 years.

I am super pumped for this fight.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Love boxing, but the sport is in a downer. I've seen all of De la hoya's big fights, but none of MAYweathers. I can't remember seeing any big cards with his name on them. Probably cause he doesn't fight big time opponents, as someone else stated in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. I guess I just dont understand how you've never seen ANY of his fights, considering he's one of the premier fighters of our time. He's beaten Arturo Gatti, Carlos Baldomir, Zab Judah, Angel Manfredy, etc. Surely you've heard of some of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gatti obv. Others vaguely familiar. Mostly likely has to do with him not being a heavyweight or a big time fighter. I know he's one of the greatest pound for pounders. Now he's fighting someone worthy and i'm getting the fight.

edit: by big time, I mean big draw. PPV
Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys are tomato cans compared to him, though. Part of that is not Mayweather's fault, because he's just so good that it's hard not to find someone he can fight that isn't an obvious easy win for him.

But he does seem to love the easy fights like Gatti. I mean, virtually nobody expected Gatti to have any kind of chance at all. And Gatti was of course humiliated. Baldomir got talked up because of his surprise win over Judah, but it was wishful thinking that a guy like him could beat Mayweather. Mayweather typically peppers long-shots like these with even longer shots. It makes him hard to follow and keeps him far from a big name. It's hard to get public interest up over a guy who is rarely challenged and never really tries to find a challenge either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, reminds me of Roy Jones, Jr. back in the day. Sucks there's no competition for him.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me, a non-boxing fan, why this fight in particular is getting so much press/going to be so great/such a big deal/has everyone on the edge of their seat, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its entirely promotion. The promotors have something to promote and want a big payday.

The fact its getting hyped and billed as the greatest boxing match of all time is a total effing joke. But people will buy into it because they know the name De La Hoya, but if you even follow boxing in the slightest you know hes over the hill and has no chance here. Im not watching the fight out of protest just for the stupid hype its gotten and cuz it wont be that good a fight anyway. The only reason id want to watch it is to see De La Hoya get totally pwned, because hes an asshat of the highest order and I can't stand him.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boxing is still big over here, but it has died as a mainstream sport with typical press coverage. Write ups are either minimal or non-existent for virtually every fight, and even the big ones might get only a quick prefight Friday write-up and then an article on Sunday after the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe true of other fights. But this fight was on the front page of ESPN.com yesterday and is the cover feature on ESPN the Magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]
When he said mainstream press, I assume he meant press that isn't solely dedicated to sports. Of course espn is covering the fight, but its not getting the kind of publicity in local papers that big fights used to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do most people get sports news from "mainstream" outlets these days? I get all my sports news from ESPN and the interwebs.

The fact that ESPN is hyping it should be a big deal, especially considering that ESPN isn't airing it.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saturday May 5th, with a Kentucky Derby without a substantial favorite + this fight, might be the best sports day of the last 10 years.

I am super pumped for this fight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Love the Derby also.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:36 PM

A really good fight would be Manny Pacquiao fighting Floyd Mayweather at junior welterweight.

Pacquiao's walking around weight is 147 and I'm sure Mayweather can still go down to junior welter which is at 142.