Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: stay at home mom - a $134k job

[ QUOTE ]
For the record....
I do not regret having my kids and would give my life for them without hesitation.
That wasn't my point though....My point was that were it not for my wife, I would not have had them in the first place, and I don't think I am anywhere near alone in this. When did being honest become a qualification for idiocy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You and people like you are worse than Hitler.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sillyness. This is obviously written by feminist who feels the need to try and put homemaker in the same context as high powered attorney/Doctor/accountant

Rubbish

[/ QUOTE ]

Feminists in the US are lobbying for women staying at home as house wives instead of being independent? Weird.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM

They're also very keen on the oppression of transsexuals. It has been a pretty odd movement for quite a while now.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not regret having my kids and would give my life for them without hesitation.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would have helped tremendously to have seen this disclaimer in your first post.

I don't understand this "never would have had kids if not for my wife" crap. What? She forced you to have kids? If she had told you she never wanted children, you would have agreed? I don't get it. What's the point of marriage, really, without kids?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't these surveys ever account for the fact that most married men would not even elect to have children in the first place if their wives didn't talk them into it??

[/ QUOTE ]
Can we get a show of hands by OOT dads that regret their kids and only wanted them in the first place because the wife pulled some sort of Jedi mind trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't super super fired up about having kids but now that I have one I am crazy about him and I wish I had about 10 of them.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming 'stay at home mom' includes home-schooling,

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this study didn't consider home-schooling part of the job
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assuming 'stay at home mom' includes home-schooling,

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this study didn't consider home-schooling part of the job

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, which is why i placed my original value on this position as being closer to $200k.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM

What if the mother is from Mexico? How much would her salary be then?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It would have helped tremendously to have seen this disclaimer in your first post.

I don't understand this "never would have had kids if not for my wife" crap. What? She forced you to have kids? If she had told you she never wanted children, you would have agreed? I don't get it. What's the point of marriage, really, without kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Round...before going any further can you please tell me your age and marital state? If you a single 22yr old kid there really isn't much point in me explaining myself as you are grossly unqualified to comprehend the material. This is not meant to be rude...it's the truth my friend.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, anyone you would pay 134k a year to would have to be extremely skilled and come with wads of references and a dandy resume. Having zero qualifications, no references, experience, licenses or degrees -- just having gotten pregnant -- is not enough to grant anyone this kind of wage.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's almost as much of a signaling issue than anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what you mean by a "signaling issue."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't these surveys ever account for the fact that most married men would not even elect to have children in the first place if their wives didn't talk them into it??

[/ QUOTE ]
Can we get a show of hands by OOT dads that regret their kids and only wanted them in the first place because the wife pulled some sort of Jedi mind trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a fair question, really.

How many people would find this easy to admit even to themselves? Certainly there is every cultural pressure to never acknowledge or admit such a thing. You might as well ask someone how much they would like to be ostracized, admit to a terrible mistake, or if they'd like to stab themselves in the eye or something.

It seems fairly beyond question to me that men are nowhere near as interested in having children as are women. I'd also suggest that in general they don't find it nearly as gratifying, as their typical social roles revolve far, far less around childbirth and parenthood than do those of women. Their daily activities, too, tend to revolve far less around children, so their opportunities to intimately experience on a regular basis the presence of their children and the joys and sense of purpose they can provide is substantially less than experienced by mothers.

That doesn't mean there isn't something in it for the dads, but our society isn't constructed along lines that gives nearly the reward for fatherhood that there is for motherhood. Arguably, neither is our biology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to believe that women are biologically geared to desperately want to have kids. I think whatever the hormone is that makes you want to have kids, they have as much of that as men have testosterone, or whatever hormone it is that makes us crave sex all the time.

No, I'm not a doctor, but I have often watched people playing doctors on TV.