Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Caucasian: the \'Other\' white meat

More fun:

The 22nd federal census, in 2000, had a "short form"[7] that asked two race/ancestry questions:

1. Is the person Spanish/Hispanic/Latino?

* No, not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino
* Yes, Mexican, Mexican American, Chicano
* Yes, Puerto Rican
* Yes, Cuban
* Yes, other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino (write in group)

2. What is the person's race?

* White
* Black or African American
* American Indian or Alaska Native (write in tribe)
* Asian Indian
* Chinese
* Filipino
* Japanese
* Korean
* Vietnamese
* Native Hawaiian
* Guamanian or Chamorro
* Samoan
* Other Pacific Islander (write in race)
* Other race (write in race)

This census acknowledged that "race categories include both racial and national-origin groups."
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread has potential.

Personally, in all the surveys that I have completed (school, government, etc.) "White" and "Latino/Hispanic" were always two seperate options.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better I remember answering the 2000 census when the dude came. I said I was latino and he said that was white and checked the box for white (latino) or something like that. There was also a white (non-latino) box as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I fail to see why you would think that it would make me feel better (or worse), but whatever.

As for the 2000 census, was this in the state of California or somewhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be the United States Census. It's the same everywhere. See other posts.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh I've worked in offices where EVERY latina was a red-head.

Curse you, Lucy Ricardo!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: This is better:

[ QUOTE ]
* American Indian or Alaska Native. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."

* Asian. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."

* Black or African American. "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black' or 'African American.'"

* Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands."

* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the only races on the US Census. No Hispanic/Latino.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own evidence, latinos are american indian, not white.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: This is better:

[ QUOTE ]
* American Indian or Alaska Native. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."

* Asian. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."

* Black or African American. "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black' or 'African American.'"

* Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands."

* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the only races on the US Census. No Hispanic/Latino.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own evidence, latinos are american indian, not white.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly? Also, there exist solely white latinos who aren't mesitzos (mixed-race with white/natives), for example 95% of Argentina is your traditional definition of white.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]
So the fact that they're from latin america tells you that their origins are Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa?

Maybe we should just have one box: Pangean
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They'd be both white and american indian if not for that line. As such they are white. Did you even read or just respond quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]
So the fact that they're from latin america tells you that their origins are Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to screw with me?

The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins. It'd be like saying you are from America, that must mean you from Europe right?

Hispanic doesn't refer to a race. It refers to people who speak spanish or live in a house that speaks spanish, people with spanish heritage by birth location or last name, or people with self-identified spanish origin or descent.

For example, there are many Argentines who are full-blooded Italian but are Hispanic because they speak spanish. Hispanics can be black, white, mestizo, asian, native american, whatever. Since there isn't a mestizo option, that leaves Hispanics with selecting white, black, or asian depending on where their descent came from. For most of them, that is white. Hence, hispanic whites and other whites.

Edit: If you don't get it at this point, I'll just assume you are trying to troll me. No one can be this dumb.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM

The box should read "What color is your skin? White, Tan, Black, Pitch Black, or Yellow"

Maybe this would be more clear? We could just get rid of races all together and just classify people based on color alone. This would give some people the ability to switch teams.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to screw with me?

The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly the point I was making. You are contradicting yourself.

Remember the 8 times that you said latinos are white? Now read these two things that you posted:

- * White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

- The fact they are from Latin America tells you nothing about their origins.

I'm not even saying you're wrong. I'm saying you're wrong based on the evidence you provided.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 AM

Wait so latinos=white? Does this mean I can find some friendly MS-13 members right down the street and slap them daps, cause we're brothers and $hit right? Just kidding Meteortron, dont flame me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]