View Poll Results: Lion vs. Elephant
Lion 38 19.19%
Elephant 160 80.81%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: OOT expose your prejudice

[ QUOTE ]
a couple points jared,

first of all you're bringing in specific elections now which you should realize is complete horse [censored]. the question was "voted republican".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being overly harsh saying horse [censored] but I see your point. Since I'm 27, voted republican in a presidential race for someone my age would mean voting for George Bush so that's part of my issue perhaps.

[ QUOTE ]

also you mention that you would have no problem with someone voting for their own interest, but not for a person who voted on what they believe in? seems backwards to me

[/ QUOTE ]

I think voting for your own interest is fine and doesn't indicate much. Voting for what you believe in is fine too. The reason I would say less in this case is that people that have the beliefs that cause them to vote for republicans are usually people I wouldn't have as friends. This isn't always the case but often is. If someone told me that they voted republican because they're a libertarian and the republican party is the closest of the big two to their beliefs I would be fine with that. If they vote republican because they think the republican candidate is a better christian than the other candidate then I would think less of them. I think statistically I am more likely to encounter a random republican who is a republican for reasons such as the latter.

[ QUOTE ]

it's just so sick that people tend to think what they believe in is superior, they don't see that democrats/republicans, it's all the same [censored] it's just different ideas. there's no evil party or good party. i dunno.. like i said, sadness

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I actually somewhat think both parties are bad. I do think the Republicans are a bit worse now in general because they've had power for a while but that will probably shift back the other way. I do tend to agree with the democratic party on issues, but certainly don't across the board nor do I always disagree with the republicans.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another dumb one, more people (more than half!) would think less of someone if they were christian, but less people would think less of someone if they were muslim. pure hilarity there. just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian

[/ QUOTE ]
Go live in Salt Lake and see if you think less of Mormons than other Christians once they've been knocking on your door at 8AM every Saturday.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
another dumb one, more people (more than half!) would think less of someone if they were christian, but less people would think less of someone if they were muslim. pure hilarity there. just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian

[/ QUOTE ]
Go live in Salt Lake and see if you think less of Mormons than other Christians once they've been knocking on your door at 8AM every Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mormons aren't christians IMO.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? They believe in Christ
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? They believe in Christ

[/ QUOTE ]

So do muslims....but they believe in things that happened after christ, much the same as mormons
Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 AM

again jared you're just assuming that since someone has voted republican that they voted for bush. some people actually vote on the issues and don't blindly follow their favorite team. also rundownhouse you're basically doing the same thing by saying that mormons annoy you and trying to project it onto all christians somehow.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 AM

according to wiki mormons are christians
Old 05-02-2007, 02:16 AM

i feel like somehow christians have given republican politics a bad name, to the point where people equate being a republican with being a christian wackjob. i know a lot of people who would consider themselves republican, and none of them are even close to being religious. maybe because i live in the northeast??
Old 05-02-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian

[/ QUOTE ]

While blind prejudice against straight, white, christians is of course really no better than any other bias, I think you have to account for the fact that those characteristics essentially describe "The Man." Straight, white, Christian men rule the country and much of the world, so it's not unreasonable for there to be some sort of backlash against them for many of the things that are wrong, fair or not.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel like somehow christians have given republican politics a bad name, to the point where people equate being a republican with being a christian wackjob.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is bush's fault.