Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: 60+ degree Wedges

Today I broke down and bought a 60 degree wedge. I expected it to suck, but I took it to a practice green for a couple hours which I have been working at a lot lately and immediately was way more effective not only with pitch shots but also on greenside chips where I would usually use a lower lofted club. For me the hardest part of chipping is figuring out how the ball is going to react when it hits the ground and how far it is going to run out - I can't decide where I want to land the ball. Flying the ball a larger percentage of the way to the hole takes some of the guesswork out for me I guess. Even if the lob wedge is a tougher shot with a longer swing, my distance control is still much better.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Since Tom Kite started using one years ago, a lot of pros started to carry one in their bags. It's a good club to have to get you out of tight situations like others have stated.

Over small trees, bunkers, short chips, when you don't have a lot of green to work with, etc... I'll also say that it takes quite a bit of practice with the club to understand the distances with the various shots.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zirconia -

I bought a generic 64 degree off of ebay for $15. I can take a nice full swing from 20-30 yards off the green and pop it right over any bunker or small tree. It's basically an automatic flop shot. I use out of the bunker as well. I've had this club for 2+ years now and it's still in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]Got to say that's what I bought one for too. I dropped my 3 iron, replaced it with a hybrid, and added a 64 for very short up and down quickly shots. Mainly over greenside bunkers, not that I miss the green often [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 PM

My 60-degree Cleveland Tour Action lob wedge has been in my bag longer than any club other than my putter. I recommend it.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:42 PM

You want to know what the most used wedge on tour has been over the past three years?

The cleveland 588 reg.

Been around for years and still pluggin along nicely. I believe cleveland has just recently come out with a modified design of this specific club because it's been so incredibly popular for years and years.

Most all wedges are the same....if you want to cheaper model that is quality made...check out Upswing Golf. Couple big dogs from Taylormade and Callaway started their own small club company and their wedges are awesome, and cheap.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Pulled out a Vokey 60 degree that I won last year (some people win shirts or drivers or stuff in club events, I win 60 degree wedges, I must have 4 or 5).

First round results were very encouraging - I probably used it 5 times and had 3 acceptable shots, 1 very good shot to a tricky pin and 1 that wasn't acceptable. I'll put that last one on lack of practice, I didn't know how hard to hit it and came up well shot.