Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Playing on Credit at a local spot

My advice will be a little different than what others have said. I used to run a small club and we were very liberal loaning money. Instead of using props/shills we would loan money to regulars. If they got in too deep and couldn't pay we would usually have to call them up and tell them not to worry about it (no reason to lose the money and a regular). In some cases we went as far as giving them some more money to get them to come back. If we could loan out $1k in a night to rake $2k that was a pretty good deal.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice will be a little different than what others have said. I used to run a small club and we were very liberal loaning money. Instead of using props/shills we would loan money to regulars. If they got in too deep and couldn't pay we would usually have to call them up and tell them not to worry about it (no reason to lose the money and a regular). In some cases we went as far as giving them some more money to get them to come back. If we could loan out $1k in a night to rake $2k that was a pretty good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I get loaned money because I always pay him back by playing it off, and I keep the games going. Also, I have a way to pay him off because I have 2 part time jobs that I can work If I decide to, and on top of that, hes willing to give me time to pay it off. It sounds like you guys might not be completely familiar with the circumstances.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Excuses and rationalization. You came in here asking what to do, you've been told what to do, and your response is, "well, you guys don't understand the situation." Then why are you posting?

You are playing well outside of your bankroll.

That is bad poker. You will not be a winning player doing this, no matter how much you convince yourself it's okay to do. If you are serious about trying to go pro, this is very basic.

Stop it. Work the part time job and pay back your debt. Don't play live until you have the bankroll to play within your means.

Based on everything I've read from you in this thread, until you change this attitude, you are not going to survive in this world.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing on the sheet isn't really that bad as long as you have the money to pay them back.

[/ QUOTE ]

correction - pay it back the same day. You shouldnt play on the sheet unless you pay the same evening, period - its unsafe any other way for all parties involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather pay once a week. That way I don't have to bring any serious money into the club. A lot of the robberies lately have included what was in players pockets. This is much safer for myself and my bankroll. As long as you're not playing over your head, and you and the owner have an agreement there really shouldn't be a problem with this. On the other hand, if you're playing way over your head and have to work a week or two in order to get the money you're paying back than this really is a bad idea for both parties.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing on the sheet isn't really that bad as long as you have the money to pay them back.

[/ QUOTE ]

correction - pay it back the same day. You shouldnt play on the sheet unless you pay the same evening, period - its unsafe any other way for all parties involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather pay once a week. That way I don't have to bring any serious money into the club. A lot of the robberies lately have included what was in players pockets. This is much safer for myself and my bankroll. As long as you're not playing over your head, and you and the owner have an agreement there really shouldn't be a problem with this. On the other hand, if you're playing way over your head and have to work a week or two in order to get the money you're paying back than this really is a bad idea for both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

In many clubs its the rare person who can play on the sheet for more than the same evening. The sheet is designed to counteract lost funds from police raids so the house doesn't have to pay you back. Your on your own in a robbery, you shouldn't expect the house to reimburse you in that situation.