Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Genral tipping advice in LV

What should I be tipping when winning an MTT or a SNG?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I be tipping when winning an MTT or a SNG?

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus is 3-5%.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 AM

I need to add another person to this list after this past week.

The skycaps at McCarran.

See that long taxi line that someone says is now 2 hrs long?

Have 2+ bags (tiny laptop bag counts!)?

Find the guys with the metal carts and show them at least $5, and those guys will take you to the VIP line, ahead of the unknowing tourists, and get you in your taxi within 10 minutes.

(I flew back into town this past weekend and the taxi line was horrendous, indeed 2 hrs long - normally I'd say tip the skycap $5, but on this night I went for $10 to really make sure I'd get their attention. And you need 2 bags, my guy told me to drop my laptop case on the cart to make it kosher.)

Of course, before looking for the skycap, check out the taxi line - it's weird, there's either no one waiting for one, or the line is a mile long.

Or if you're balla (and don't have a limo) just go for the skycap and drop a nickel or two and just get it over with.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

club bouncers I hate waiting in line for clubs, and will tip $20 if I really want in and I know it's getting me in. But that's me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious as to which clubs this worked at for you. I always gave them a hundred because I thought that was standard to get in without waiting. Note that its $100 for your entire group, not per person....so if you have 5 or 6 people its not that much per person really.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One I didn't see mentioned was tipping Housekeeping. Always leave a tip for the people who clean your room. They probably deserve it the most too.

[/ QUOTE ]
is this really standard? I've stayed in hotels so many times and never done this except once when we partied so hard the mess was really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, its standard - but I know lots of people who don't do it because the cleaniong staff is out of sight, out of mind. I was once told that the standard is between $5 and $10 a day, but I think there is a lot of leeway - they will likely be happy to receive any tip since too many people ignore their role in assuring your hotel stay is comfortable. Its the right thing to do, but its not the end of the world if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ALWAYS leave the "do not disturb" sign up when I stay at a hotel because I:

-Don't make that much of a mess
-Don't need my bed made for me
-Don't want people in my room when I'm not there because I usually keep cash in my bags

I also never tip housekeeping. Do you think this is cheap or acceptable? I guess they still have to clean up after me, so I could see why I should tip maybe.

Also...whenever I get to the hotel I always call for extra soaps/towels/etc. because I know I won't be getting daily housekeeping....should I tip the guy who brings these up to my room?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also never tip housekeeping. Do you think this is cheap or acceptable? I guess they still have to clean up after me, so I could see why I should tip maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]
if your going to tip anyone at the hotel it should be housekeeping because they work the hardest with the smallest wages for your comfort - but rest assured your in the majority if you choose not to, most people don't tip the cleaning crew.

[ QUOTE ]
Also...whenever I get to the hotel I always call for extra soaps/towels/etc. because I know I won't be getting daily housekeeping....should I tip the guy who brings these up to my room?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want extra towels, standard protocol is yes. If you ask for something that should be in room but is not, then you can skip the tip. Again its not required either way, but its a standard choice for people who tend to tip for this kind of service.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ALWAYS leave the "do not disturb" sign up...

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same DND thing (and still often get disturbed--and ALWAYS find a message-waiting light on the phone from housekeeping saying they couldn't get in but if I need anything please let them know). It's not like I wash my sheets and towels at home daily, so I don't really need it in a hotel. And it saves water and is a generally green thing to do to not pointlessly launder crap. If I'm staying a week, or whatever, I'll let 'em in once after 3 or 4 days.

But I do always leave a few dollars for 'em.

I've been in places that had an official Tips for Housekeeping envelope. Seems a little gauche, but perhaps it avoids problems with the staff thinking a random $5 in the room is their tip when it wasn't so intended..
Old 05-10-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hotel Front Desk Person - 20$, Ask for an upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have any experience of this working?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not spamming, but http://www.frontdesktip.com/ will give you a good idea for a specefic hotel.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 AM

When is it appropriate to tip the floor in the poker room. I have always been ??? about that...
Old 05-12-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When is it appropriate to tip the floor in the poker room. I have always been ??? about that...

[/ QUOTE ]bump for this question. I'm usually a pretty good tipper but I've never tipped a floor person just because I never really see a good opportunity to.