Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: What makes the US Govt trustworthy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I trust the US government because under its leadership I and most Americans are reasonably free, prosperous and repesented in the decision making.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like having herpes because it's not as bad as AIDS or syphilis, and with some dietary modification and heavy Valtrex application, I can suppress outbreaks enough to have a reasonably fulfilling sex life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what world do you live in? Your criticism is that government is not perfect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Msgr., please tell me what makes the government trustworthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, read the OP again.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you trust the US government?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my lips...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Many of you AC'ists try to rhetorically win the debate by comparing a non-governmental improved future society after AC functions well with a current government. You can be pro-government and not trust the current government and not even think it does a good job. You try to make people defend a partly failed status quo vs. an idealized future, a more honest debate would be status quo government vs status quo non-government (which you avoid since you lose everytime(I admit it may be due to sample size)) or debate idealized future government vs idealized future non-government.

I find the debate with i.e. Pvn much more interesting since he makes it a question of values and at the end of the road it is all a question of values and a trade off between values and pragmatism. The baseless claims about how your society is sort of going to be "better" is nothing different than any other ideologist of any untried ideology.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 AM

So you don't trust the government either?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't trust the government either?

[/ QUOTE ]

I trust no government fully, I don't think that people trusting the government fully is a good thing. This may come off a bit arrogant, but I think that everyone with much life experience has learned that most things needs to be kept in check somehow, including government.

Btw, sorry for editing previous post after you answered, did not see your answer.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 AM

OF course I don't but since I don't I will tell you why.

1)The number one reason why I don't trust the government is they aren't held accountable. If they do something pretty bad they are usually re-elected if they do something really bad they just step down. Take the current White House Administration. They started a war impossible to win under false pretenses and were re-elected. Some of the administration stepped down to take blame, but nothing has been done.

2)Politicians know that $$$ is more important than the issues. Campaign funds win elections. This puts the politicians in the pocket of big business and not at work for the voters. If the voting public wasn't so uninformed and force fed by the media(big business) this would be ess of a problem.

3) The checks and balances system is a joke. We have moved further and further from the checks and balances system it is tragic. Presidents have been able to declare wars for decades but the Patriot Act brings new levels to Presidential power. The congress would have a hard time stopping the war if they wanted to. There only attempt now is to stifle it by cutting funding.

Please pick this apart if I am way off just my 2c.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The number one reason why I don't trust the government is they aren't held accountable. If they do something pretty bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad in whose opinion? Yours? Mine? Everybody's?

[ QUOTE ]
they are usually re-elected

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the government wrong in this case or the electorate? Why are they getting re-elected if they're doing something objectively bad?

[ QUOTE ]
if they do something really bad they just step down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I thought you just said they aren't accountable. If you do a terrible job at your place of employment and quit right before they fire you, isn't that being accountable for your behaviour?

[ QUOTE ]
Take the current White House Administration. They started a war impossible to win under false pretenses and were re-elected. Some of the administration stepped down to take blame, but nothing has been done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who should be doing something? Why is the government going to stop before the public votes to have them stop? If the public is voting to have them continue doing what they're doing, doesn't that mean that your opinion of what they're doing is not universally, or even widely, held?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the government wrong in this case or the electorate? Why are they getting re-elected if they're doing something objectively bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
See #2
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, I thought you just said they aren't accountable. If you do a terrible job at your place of employment and quit right before they fire you, isn't that being accountable for your behaviour?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actions are seldom taken beyond them loosing their position. In some cases more drastic punishment may be necessary. The problem is the politicians are making the rules for what happens if they get caught.
[ QUOTE ]
Who should be doing something? Why is the government going to stop before the public votes to have them stop? If the public is voting to have them continue doing what they're doing, doesn't that mean that your opinion of what they're doing is not universally, or even widely, held?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what you are saying here but public opinion is against the war yet no time table or plan to an end is being made.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
See #2

[/ QUOTE ]

The voting public is too dumb to see what you can clearly see? Why don't we make you dictator so you can defend these poor, helpless cattle.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
See #2

[/ QUOTE ]

The voting public is too dumb to see what you can clearly see? Why don't we make you dictator so you can defend these poor, helpless cattle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Next time your thinking of making a post like this don't.