Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Friend a possible thief, HELP!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You cant be serious, you actually track your booze and how many beers you "had in your pack".
Is this common practice in finland?

[/ QUOTE ]

totally standard. booze is expensive and kids don't have a lot of money. people bring their own to social gatherings. you bring what you're gonna drink. if you bring a 12-pack and when you go to get your 8th beer and it turns out someone has stolen it and it's only 11:30pm and you have nothing left to drink, [censored] hits the fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also totally standard that someone steals/unintentionally drinks someone elses beer/booze at some point.

When you're drunk enough every bottle you find is yours. And this leads to fist fights among friends that are also totally standard.

Might be quite absurd situation for a foreigner to witness two Finnish guys beat the [censored] out of each other and after five minutes they are all bloody, but hugging each other and sharing a bottle of Koskenkorva.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM

i didn't really understand the parts about all the evidence. at one point i thought he was actually in the clear because of the two different bottle tops. maybe post in finnish and have stinky translate.

also how can people deny it's a cultural thing when HE SAYS IT IS. and you have stinkypete backing him up. i mean there are probably some tribes in africa that will burn you alive if you drink their beer. things are different.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 AM

viru valge is disgusting vodka. you're better off without it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Note to self - I want to go party in Europe and drink everyone else's alcohol.
Massive hilarity ensues.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
totally standard. booze is expensive and kids don't have a lot of money. people bring their own to social gatherings. you bring what you're gonna drink. if you bring a 12-pack and when you go to get your 8th beer and it turns out someone has stolen it and it's only 11:30pm and you have nothing left to drink, [censored] hits the fan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pete,

At least here in the US, there's a huge difference between someone drinking all of your booze when its 11PM and you're sober, and someone drinking whatever you left behind when you departed. Obviously things vary culture to culture and even group of friends to group of friends, but I don't think those two scenarios are very similar at all in most places.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad I got beyond this stage of life when I was about 19.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is why the drinking age is 21 in the US.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Umm, I live in America, go to a large American university, and this type of thing is not nearly as uncommon as you guys are making it out to be. Sure, it's usually more reasonable and better etiquette to just leave your alcohol at the party and forget about it, especially considering you were able to drink more than enough for yourself and aren't even completely sure where the rest went, but taking home your beer when you leave or the next day happens all the time. It really depends on the type of gathering, the group of friends, and the convenience. Just last weekend, we went to a barbecue hosted by a friend of a roommate, bought a couple of 12 packs on the way, finished about half, gave a couple out to some friends, and took the rest home. Completely standard.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 PM

It's also not too un-standard for when someone passes out to keep on drinking.

"Hey, whose is this?"
"I think it's Bob's. He's on the floor. Think he would mind?"
"Not likely. He's already had enough obviously. Fill me up Charlie!!"

If you're getting THAT plowed with your buddies I think you can have a certain expectation that whatever alcohol you leave lying around could get finished by someone else after you pass out.

Now, blaming one person for drinking a bottle and a half of your vodka (that's what's happening in this thread supposedly, right?) whereas all the other buddies are magically in the clear because 'they would never do such a thing' seems a bit weird.

And the etiquette for this type of drink-stealing can vary from group to group I suspect.

But I hardly think it's the end of the world that somebody drank some alcohol that you left lying around after you passed out.
And it's not even close to being the same as stealing someone's I-Pod after they pass-out as it was compared to earlier in the thread.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM

this thread reminds me of that one thread some chick posted on here about taking a 6 pack to a friends house and someone drank one of them or something and she got super pissy. That thread was hilarious.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please do not ridicule when you do not understand the culture or the social mechanics at work.

OP, asking americanos for advice on this is not a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]ummm, not our fault. We're not taking into account people's life stories when they don't give it to us.