Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Opie and Anthony

[ QUOTE ]
First off, stern didn't make any new sign up quota. In order for siruis to have made money off of stern he needed to sign up about 5 million new subscribers, didn't happen. As far as i know since 01/06 sirius subscriptions might have gone up 500K-750K at most.

[/ QUOTE ]

We get it, Anthony. You don't like Howard Stern.

But your numbers are way off. Sirius needed 1MM new members to break even on the Stern channels - this is the number agreed to by Wall Street.

$14/month x 12 months x 1MM = $168MM/year. Stern makes $100MM/year, which is the obviously the majority of incremental costs associated with his channels.

Sirius subscribers are projected to be 8MM by end of 2007, which is an increase of almost 5MM since Stern started on the air. Not all from Stern, but arguably most of them are (and certainly more than 1MM of them are). His stock bonus was tied to meeting his quota, which he most certainly did.

Compare this to Opie's own admission that the listeners to their premium show on XM ($1.99 extra/month) numbered in the "thousands".

I listened to both when they were on WYSP in Philly, and I have both Sirius and XM (came with cars). I find O&A to be "listenable" and I don't see them as a Stern ripoff. But I also don't see them as anywhere near as funny or interesting.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Is there any way to work Ron and Fez into this discussion? Because they're way funnier than both. I always loved O+A and never really got Ron and Fez. Lately, I've been finding O+A's act a little stale, and only really listen for a half hour or so while I'm getting ready for work. R+F are still the underdog - still underappreciated - but funny as hell.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Stern has so much more informed opinions than those idiots O&A. O&A like to see themselves as the next evolution of a Stern, a newer more improved version if you will. Unfortunately that just doesn't hold much water. They have nowhere near the control of their guests like Stern does. They are not as funny as Stern. If anything Anthony is the closest thing to a talent on that show. Opie is basically a failed DJ that realized Anthony was his meal ticket out of the Buffalo DJ scene.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stern has so much more informed opinions than those idiots O&A. O&A like to see themselves as the next evolution of a Stern, a newer more improved version if you will. Unfortunately that just doesn't hold much water. They have nowhere near the control of their guests like Stern does. They are not as funny as Stern. If anything Anthony is the closest thing to a talent on that show. Opie is basically a failed DJ that realized Anthony was his meal ticket out of the Buffalo DJ scene.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because that's what you want. A host that controls his guests. And who makes sure that everyone in studio besides himself has their mic volume turned down a little. That whole control thing - it wouldn't have anything to do with ego, would it?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to work Ron and Fez into this discussion? Because they're way funnier than both. I always loved O+A and never really got Ron and Fez. Lately, I've been finding O+A's act a little stale

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have to agree here. They have been playing some WNEW bits while on vacation and to me, that is when the show was in its prime, pre-syndication. Ron and Fez are just great. Always hysterical, Ronnie is never off target with his lines. The show just has more of a fun feel than O&A these days. monkeyHOUUUUUUUUUSE!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Stern is nothing but a d-sipper
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM

Anthony's name on Full Tilt is pretty well known to those of us who play Pest Poker but let the man have his fun and leave him alone while he's playing. Except to take his money of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
O&A is the only show in any form of media that I can't miss. I listen to 6 hours a day while I'm driving, working or playing poker. I've stayed up late just to finish off a day's show before the next one.
Ron and Fez is fantastic too.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Does anyone know what Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes(Jay and Silent Bob) screen names are on FTP? I've heard they play on the site.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how do these morons have a popular radio show? It's like a bunch of frat boys stumbled upon their college radio station unprepared. Horribly unfunny. And that one guy who talks like he has marbles in his mouth needs to be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have decent ratings with men 18-34 in select markets.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do Big Macs. Doesn't make either one of them good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're drunk.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 PM

witzo you play regularly? SN? Yours, not ants..

(((btw people, ant = donk)))