Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: ps3 appreciation

[ QUOTE ]
Also I can't find anything on the internet about GT5 being cancelled or Shivering Isles, but I could definetly be over looking it. As far as ports to Sony being lackluster, this is usually the nature of the beast, but to be fair, I think if a game was developed when both systems were out, then the ports are going to be identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have verified most of what I said through quick google searches. Here's a Google search for Gran Turismo canceled. First hit. Shivering Isles is touchier since it appears that it may indeed end up on the PS3 some time in the future. Right now it's simply a fact that Bathesda, at least initially, chose to simply not offer it on the PS3 - and it is still not available for the PS3.

Also, I'm not claiming that the PS3 won't be competitive. If Metal Gear Solid IV is even comparable to what it's being hyped up to be, it's going to sell consoles left and right. And whenever the price drops down to something reasonable, the PS3 is going to start to look very attractive if not only as a subsidized blu-ray player. However, claiming the only thing wrong with the PS3 is the price is just ignorant.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Titles designed from the ground up for PS3 have the capacity to be better than those on the 360 graphically

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually one of the bigger misconceptions about the PS3. While the CPU is ostensibly move powerful than the 360, the graphics processor in the PS3 is actually inferior to the one in the 360 by any objective measurement.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:20 PM

There are few titles that are Xbox only. To say Sony is losing all these developers is a joke. You release a game for 360, you have a market of 10 million users in the US. You choose ps3, you have a market just at 2 mil. I seriously doubt developers will just say we will stop making games for the rest of eternity for the ps3.

This arguement will never die. 360 has pros/cons, so does the ps3. 360 has one thing I will never get over. Hate the controller. Just horrible design. Thats a joke for a d-pad.

360 has better quality games worth buying. We will know by christmas if Sony made any dent in their gaming lineup. 360 has Halo & Gear of War. Besides that, I can't think of an exclusive title that 360 would have its claim on.

If you have a ps3, get this
200 gig ps3 hard drive
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 AM

Agree these things will never die, but the general consensus is Sony has messed up big time so far during PS3's short life. That is undeniable really. I'm a videogames fan first, but I've loved both of Sony's consoles. However, right now (to me) they offer nothing. The Wii is cheap, innovative, and Nintendo is the worlds greatest developer. The 360 is cheaper than the PS3, and has more games. And higher quality games currently.

IMO what saved PS2 (not saved...seperated) was exclusives. The games you could get only on PS2. Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Square/Enix games, etc. Now with a lot of those former exclusives going to Microsoft it's a huge blow to Sony. I'm just wondering what Sony is going to be able to offer it's gamers? Sure they have some great first party studios, but those killer 3rd party exclusives is what won last generation. If Halo, GTA IV, Gears of War, Assasins Creed, are all on XBox, what are customers going to need a PS3 for?

I'm hoping they can turn things around, and I think they can (hard to pick against the champ)...but they have work to do.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sony mistook that fanbase for meaning they no longer had any need to put out a quality product to stay the console giant, so now you end up with a system like the PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obvious bs, there is nothing wrong with the ps3 execept for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but you're wrong. There's a lot wrong with the PS3 and I'm not talking about hardware. Have you even thought of developers and consequently games? A technically inferior system such as the Xbox360 with far better developer support and thus games is a better console. Sony is losing developer support all over the place. It's faster, easier and more profitable to develop for Xbox than for PS3 by a long shot. Until the PS3 starts selling a lot more consoles, developers ain't coming back. Until developers come back and make awesome games, the PS3 ain't shifting more units. Sony made a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it isn't selling out why? I've made a hint for you.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably haven't noticed this but the SPEs don't even use the same the same instruction set as the primary CPU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is a seriously lame putdown attempt.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Hume: I agree price is an issue, but don't you think the fact that the PS3 offers so few must have games right now is just as big?

Resistance is great (I've beaten it at a friends house), but really what "must have" games does the PS3 have? Wii already has some great titles, XBox 360 has some awesome games.

If Assasins Creed, GTA IV, etc, were still PS3 exclusives as planned at one time I'd already have one. Right now the PS3 doesn't have a lot to offer in my opinion games wise.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sony mistook that fanbase for meaning they no longer had any need to put out a quality product to stay the console giant, so now you end up with a system like the PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obvious bs, there is nothing wrong with the ps3 execept for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but you're wrong. There's a lot wrong with the PS3 and I'm not talking about hardware. Have you even thought of developers and consequently games? A technically inferior system such as the Xbox360 with far better developer support and thus games is a better console. Sony is losing developer support all over the place. It's faster, easier and more profitable to develop for Xbox than for PS3 by a long shot. Until the PS3 starts selling a lot more consoles, developers ain't coming back. Until developers come back and make awesome games, the PS3 ain't shifting more units. Sony made a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it isn't selling out why? I've made a hint for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to read.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM

I own a PS3 and resistance is a great game, especially w/ the HDMI output. I also just got Oblivion which is wasting my life away. Coming soon will be the new Final Fantasy, MGS4, and the new Resident Evil. I mean the system's been out for so short a time compared to the 360, no wonder it has so few games comparitively.

Also, does anyone remember the launch games for the PS2? I do because I got one and guess what, they weren't that good and barely showed off the processing power (most were still cd as opposed to DVD). There were also tons of things wrong with the lens and people were returning them all the time. Sony just sucks at system launches.

I really think they have only just touched the processing power of the PS3. Developers will love the added space of the blue ray disc, not to mention that code optimization gets better with time. That just means the games will get better, more people will buy the system and more/better games come out. The PS3 will probably lag behind for a good year before I think anyone can really say how it's going to last in the market.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You probably haven't noticed this but the SPEs don't even use the same the same instruction set as the primary CPU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is a seriously lame putdown attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a putdown attempt -- just another awkward aspect of an awkward machine. The extremely low level control required to effectively utilize the SPEs is just further confounded by the lack of a standard instruction set. Relatedly, the lack of a standard instruction set also really limits the number of available tools for SPE specific development.

It's just another example of poor system design for the PS3. Sony did everything they could to say, hey look we can pump out 'x' more FLOPS than the 360 - we dwarf that thing. The practical real-world performance was of a distant secondary concern to Sony. Their marketting goal was a definite success; look at the general perception of the PS3's 'power'. Image aside though, I think people are starting to wonder why the PS3 isn't really showing up the 360 in performance or graphics. You can only convince yourself that it's because it's a new system for so long.

Metal Gear Solid IV will really be the eye opener here, one way or the other. It's been being developed exclusively for the PS3 since day 1 by an extremely competent and experienced team. It should definitely show the true potential of the PS3. And it may very well end up being the game that makes or breaks the PS3.