Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: At Work: Women Against Women

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty simple. Men do not compete with eachother because men just fall in line and the lesser males take position under the Alpha males. Generally, two even two alpha males will not challenge eachother and if they think they are equals, they will just act as such.

With women, its all about being competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But even with women that are best friends, when they arent competing for anyone, will make tons of catty remarks behind eachothers backs. I dont think this is just a workplace phenomenon.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Another reason is that women are trained to grab one man, while men seize multiple women. Because of this, women are more competitive to get the best man. While the alpha men just choose whatever women they want, and the less males fight for scraps.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty simple. Men do not compete with eachother because men just fall in line and the lesser males take position under the Alpha males. Generally, two even two alpha males will not challenge eachother and if they think they are equals, they will just act as such.

With women, its all about being competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But even with women that are best friends, when they arent competing for anyone, will make tons of catty remarks behind eachothers backs. I dont think this is just a workplace phenomenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is not a workplace thing, its just human nature.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the popular theory among academia/feminists is that men are socialized to work in teams and women are not, but I'm pretty sure that's just not true. Watch any group of small children, like two or three years-old, and watch how the boys don't really care who they play with, but the girls very early on develop a hierarchy that is exclusionary. There is always an "in" crowd among girls, even at a young age when they couldn't have possibly been taught that behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

The environment affects both nature and nurture. The selection criteria is determined by the environment. If men are more likely to be put into groups as academia suggests, then men are more likely to be selected for based upon how well they work within those groups. The socialization environment therefore doesn't just nurture the individual afterbirth, but also selects the individual's nature before birth.

Mens DNA is passed on if they work well in groups, womens is passed on if they are hot. Men ignore their bad behavior if they are hot. Its no wonder that they have no social skills.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM

"Mens DNA is passed on if they work well in groups, womens is passed on if they are hot. Men ignore their bad behavior if they are hot. Its no wonder that they have no social skills."

Dude, most men I see will stick it in anything that moves. Too bad, maybe if they didnt their wouldnt be so many ugly chicks running around.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

I questioned whether or not women are more catty with eachother based on the low probability of physical confrontation.

At work, if a guy screws me over to such an extent that I find it distracting to my job performance, I'd pretty much confront him outside the office, and get physical if need be. This seems counter-productive, of course. But I think it's natural for many males to feel this way.

With women, there is such a small small chance of GETTING YOUR ASS BEAT in the parking garage after work, that they feel they can get away with other petty attacks.

Yay, nay? And since men "can't" fight women, it's all up to the women to defend themselves physically (which almost none are genetically inclined to do). In an extreme example, lets say it was as common in our society for men to hit women as it is men to hit men...if that were the case, and a man saw a woman belittling another female office worker, he could go up and get in her face and it may not happen again. Of course this just isn't how it is in Western culture.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the guys in my office are constantly beating one another up in the parking garage and I just don't know about it, but I somehow doubt it. In most corporate environments if you physically attack someone, either on or off the premises, you've just played directly into your opponents hands, since you're probably going to lose your job.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Interesting thread. All I have to add is that I've done a lot of different jobs, and I've had a lot of different bosses, and quite a few of them were women, and I can only think of one who wasn't complete hell to work for.

I think the Captain Kirk analogy is a good one. I've never met a single woman who was a natural leader. I've worked with several female rafting guides. Their skills were top notch, and they were respected, but none of them could take charge on the river. They could tell you what to do, but they couldn't lead. A good leader is in everyones head - he knows everyones strengths and weaknesses and thus places them in a situation so they have a small chance of stuffing up, and makes them feel good about where they've been placed. From my experience women can't do this.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the guys in my office are constantly beating one another up in the parking garage and I just don't know about it, but I somehow doubt it. In most corporate environments if you physically attack someone, either on or off the premises, you've just played directly into your opponents hands, since you're probably going to lose your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the idea is that it's one of those things like nuclear war. It rarely ever (or hopefully never) happens, but the threat is still out there. And that makes a difference.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I questioned whether or not women are more catty with eachother based on the low probability of physical confrontation.

At work, if a guy screws me over to such an extent that I find it distracting to my job performance, I'd pretty much confront him outside the office, and get physical if need be. This seems counter-productive, of course. But I think it's natural for many males to feel this way.

With women, there is such a small small chance of GETTING YOUR ASS BEAT in the parking garage after work, that they feel they can get away with other petty attacks.

Yay, nay? And since men "can't" fight women, it's all up to the women to defend themselves physically (which almost none are genetically inclined to do). In an extreme example, lets say it was as common in our society for men to hit women as it is men to hit men...if that were the case, and a man saw a woman belittling another female office worker, he could go up and get in her face and it may not happen again. Of course this just isn't how it is in Western culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay.

Its similar to the way people talk [censored], and say things they would never dare say in person, over the internet - behind their computer. They know nothing is going to happen to them, so they have nothing to hold them back. Similarly women know they can basicaly do/say anything and still have no worry about getting hurt.