Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Deodorant

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Astro, not sweating from anywhere but your forehead during vigorous exercise does not sound normal or healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can feel trace amounts of humidity during exercise, it just doesn't get to the point of condensation. so i'm sure i can sweat, but it might take a marathon to do it. i did 8 miles in 2 hours run/walking a few months ago. not as exerting as straight running, but i don't remember coming close to a sweat. less than a month ago i did a couple miles up pinnacle peak in scottsdale. direct sunlight, 85 degree temp, no sweat or discomfort.

i agree that it's not normal, but it appears to be positive and not a health risk. my body temp is consistently below 98.6. my heartrate is normal during exercise. i hate cold, love heat, and can comfortably withstand hotter temperatures than most people. lifespans are great on both sides of my family, and there are no specific concerns about majors like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, strokes, etc. but if there's a legit medical concern, i'd like to be aware of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only medical concerns I can think of (of course I am not a doctor, but I did pay attention in HS biology) would be associated with the failure of the body's sweat glands to properly allow you to cool down. Since you can run 8 miles without a problem in hot temperatures I would think you would have noticed whether you had a problem by now.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 PM

I used to be a bit like you... in high school I could play basketball for an hour and barely work up a sweat.

Now when I play I have to wring the shirt out afterward. I'm still in good shape, but it seems like the amount I sweat has increased each year.

Also FWIW I recently (within 1 year) switched from anti-perspirant to plain old deodorant. It doesn't work quite as well, but I fear the aluminum/alzheimer connection.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 PM

I'm Irish.

My father never used the stuff. He didn't reek, but he also showered before work, played golf or raquetball or went running afterward and then showered again after that, so he was squeaky clean.

I can miss a day and not stink, but more than that and I feel like Pigpen from Charlie Brown.

Certain brands, like Speed Stick, sting the heck out of my pits. Don't know if they still make that stuff, but it was like applying hydrchloric acid. Brut was the same (and IMO it smelled horrible).
Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Who knows. There are definately some cultural aspects.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't understand why people are so huge on deodorant. It just doesn't seem right that somebody would start to smell ALL because of his underarms and that this localized smell would be UNEQUIVOCALLY blocked by deodorant.

If I haven't taken a shower that day or took a nap and got a little sweated up or whatever, yea I'll definitely spray something on. However, at that point it's not just my underarms I'm afraid of - there's also the rest of my sweaty torso, anus, and genital area - and I spray wherever I need it.

If I take a fresh shower, I really don't think I will start to smell that day with normal activity (except pooping/wiping which deodorant will not help), deodorant or not. This is backed up by other people of course. My breath is another story.

So again, I just think it's retarded to think that a fat guy will smell awful if he didn't put a little bit of stuff under his arms that morning, but smell delicious if he did.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:38 PM

what is the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant? i just use the terms interchangeably i guess
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the difference between antiperspirant and deodorant? i just use the terms interchangeably i guess

[/ QUOTE ]

antiperspirant - stops you from perspiring (sweating)
deodorant - prevents or hides your bodies odor
Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM

right of course but is it a certain chemical or something? i mean given two sticks would you be able to tell which one is the ap and which the deodorant on looks alone?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM

No, I think it is in the labeling, and deodorant probably doesn't come in the unscented variety...
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right of course but is it a certain chemical or something? i mean given two sticks would you be able to tell which one is the ap and which the deodorant on looks alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, AP uses aluminion, which is fairly controversial. there are all types of ingredients/applications/types of deoderants though, so sometimes you could tell b/c of white flaky stuff, sometimes you couldn't