dumbell kickbacks?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Top 5 exercises??

1. Squat
2. Bench
3. Deadlift
4. Row
5. Chins

Legs and back are the 2 biggest main muscle groups, so they get 4 out of the 5 top rankings.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cable rotations still pretty much suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess. They are the one exercise in the gym that best replicates the two-phase mechanics of hitting, and to a lesser extent, throwing a ball. So, I gotta do it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Cable rotations do not suck, they just wouldn't be a top 5 total body movement given that they don't work a large amount of muscle mass.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cable rotations do not suck, they just wouldn't be a top 5 total body movement given that they don't work a large amount of muscle mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree. I think they aren't great exercises for the random person, but it's a pretty good range of motion and best replicates the muscle movements of baseball.

I figured I'd chime in with the top five exercises I do that are applicable in my life at the moment. I don't work out in the gym to work out, I work out to increase performance on the diamond.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Deadlift
Squat
Military Press
Chin-up
Shadow-boxing
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree. I think they aren't great exercises for the random person, but it's a pretty good range of motion and best replicates the muscle movements of baseball.

I figured I'd chime in with the top five exercises I do that are applicable in my life at the moment. I don't work out in the gym to work out, I work out to increase performance on the diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its SPP.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Queensgrad,

The way you framed your question, I would add the bent over row as your fifth lift. Chins are good also, but go with the row if you must do only one. The row hits more muscle than the chin which seems to be your objective based on your post (hitting the most muscle in as few lifts as possible).

Some of the more powerlift-style lifts the other posters suggested are excellent lifts. But they should really be done as a separate program if you're going to do them i.e., a different cycle.

Good luck,
pal

PS: What are your goals with lifting? Mass, tone, sport-specific, women? The answer to that question can influence your selections.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Queensgrad,

The way you framed your question, I would add the bent over row as your fifth lift. Chins are good also, but go with the row if you must do only one. The row hits more muscle than the chin which seems to be your objective based on your post (hitting the most muscle in as few lifts as possible).

Some of the more powerlift-style lifts the other posters suggested are excellent lifts. But they should really be done as a separate program if you're going to do them i.e., a different cycle.

Good luck,
pal

PS: What are your goals with lifting? Mass, tone, sport-specific, women? The answer to that question can influence your selections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am super busy and trying to maintain as much strength/muscle mass while I trim down. I am 6'2" and 240lbs, and play a lot of basketball. I was under 190 when I played varisty for my university 5 yrs ago and it hurts my knees now to run and jump with so much weight. I need to get down close to 2 bills ASAP, but I want the strength I have gained with the increased size. So i figured to do a full body workout 2-3 times per week along with 4-5 days of cardio (combination of basketball and running with my dog).