Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Cheating in sports

[ QUOTE ]
Just like there's a difference between jogging every day and surgically taking out tendons in your knee and placing them in your elbow. Nobody seems to have a problem with that though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, personally i feel it is only natural for athletes to want to be bigger,faster, stronger through any means they can.
However, that doesn't mean you can let them off the hook for taking illegal substances.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like there's a difference between jogging every day and surgically taking out tendons in your knee and placing them in your elbow. Nobody seems to have a problem with that though.

[/ QUOTE ]I really don't have a problem with that. I know the elbow generally is stronger than it originally was, but they always run the risk of reinjuring themselves. It just SEEMS different.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, personally i feel it is only natural for athletes to want to be bigger,faster, stronger through any means they can.
However, that doesn't mean you can let them off the hook for taking illegal substances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the whole point of this subject was why are these things illegal and should they be [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You can't defend your stance by saying "They are illegal"
Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 PM

With the UCL surgery the reason it is stronger than it originally was is b/c that tendon is tighter now. Think of the UCL has a rubber band and when it pops that's when you need TJ/UCL surgery and what they do is like Thayer said take a tendon from another part of your body and put it in your elbow and they tighten that baby up. How you perform after that has to do with your rehab b/c of scar tissue, if you rehab correctly you will have a brand new, free and easy, tightly wound UCL and throw harder than before the injury b/c right before you injured it it was loose and frayed.

TSC, you are correct though b/c the shelf life is shorter than your original UCL. If it took all your life, let's say 18 years to tear that tendon and you are in your mid-20's then if you put the same amount of wear and tear on that elbow and don't change your mechanics then the chance of re-injury is greater in much less time.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Has anyone who is writing about steroids ever read anything about them? I hear the most idiotic things said all the time.

Steroids is probably one of the safer forms of PEDs that are used now.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Tdarko, thanks for the explanation. To me thats why I don't equate TJ Surgery with steroids.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Also, I can't find the link anywhere, but I believe Rob Neyer recently talked about how many doctors in the PED field have all said that HGH doesn't enhance performance at all.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post it, I'd be interested in reading it again.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Yeah, the more that comes out about HGH, the more it just seems like snake oil.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:42 PM

I would love to read this article.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's called ethics, people. If you can't see the ethical difference between working hard and using drugs to increase performance, I feel sorry for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the difference. The difference is between working hard with drugs, and working hard without drugs, at least as I understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the difference either. The difference is between working hard with some drugs that are legal versus working hard with some other drugs that are illegal.