Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Showdown Scenario where bluffer does not want to show

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question as I didn't see it get asked yet.

In the OP's scenario, what if villain says "I bluffed, you win" but doesn't release his hand - and you say something like "thanks" muck your hand and start gathering chips.

What's the ruling here? Am I right to think that only the physical act of mucking cards actually counts, so villain gets the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. On the house and the floor and the villain's 'history'.
If he just says "I bluffed" or "Nice call", be prepared to lose. Those are not concessions.
But "You win" or "Take the pot", you might get the pot. If you don't, please don't post it here.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the OP's scenario, what if villain says "I bluffed, you win" but doesn't release his hand - and you say something like "thanks", muck your hand, and start gathering chips.

What's the ruling here? Am I right to think that only the physical act of mucking cards actually counts, so villain gets the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, NEVER muck your hand until you have possession of the pot. It just causes too many potential problems for you to muck in mere anticipation of the pot.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A room I regularly play in recently started requiring the winning hand at showdown to be revealed. This rule really ends a lot of this mess. If the bluffer doesn't want to show, he can muck (or not muck) -- if the caller wants to win the pot, he has to show his hand at some point so he might as well show it right away and let the game move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the pot when the bluffer mucks, and the caller doesn't want to show his hand (or mucks it deep after the bluffer did)?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the OP's scenario, what if villain says "I bluffed, you win" but doesn't release his hand - and you say something like "thanks", muck your hand, and start gathering chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well say nobody else hears him say that. What are you gonna do then? He could claim he said: "I bluffed, I'm thin". And maybe you heard him wrong and that's what he actually did say.

Collect pot first, muck second and you will never have a problem. Even better turn your cards over and let the dealer do his job of awarding the pot.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, NEVER muck your hand until you have possession of the pot. It just causes too many potential problems for you to muck in mere anticipation of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice. When I'm taking a pot w/o tabling my hand, I'm trading with the dealer: my unseen cards for that pot. When the dealer starts pushing the pot to me, and not a moment before, I release my hand.

Also, be careful as there are rooms that hold the "last aggression" rule, even when the last aggression wasn't on the final street. I was stuck in staredown mode at the Trop AC once after I led the flop and turn - in position - with TP2K (AQ), then checked behind when a flush+straight card hit the river. Dealer kept me from looking like a total douche when he gave me the "muck or show, you bet the turn" command. Of course we both had the same hand and split the pot.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, be careful as there are rooms that hold the "last aggression" rule, even when the last aggression wasn't on the final street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this rule. I wish it were standard.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 AM

the only problem is that i can see is that why shoudl the winner have to show his cards, revealing how he played the hand. while the loser does not have to show how he bluffed the hand?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Hmm. As a relative noob, I'll answer this and then read what everybody else said, but it came up a lot this past weekend. Most of the time I did NOT show, just mucked and said "good choice," but if my opponent was very poor AND stuck AND I had a great hand, then as a gesture of cameraderie (can't spell that) I showed a few times. I don't want anyone to ever feel bad they made a stupid laydown. Several times I encountered, "OK, you call, you win, lady" and they didn't even ask to see. But, since I am a woman, there is a presumption I don't stick around on a bare-ass bluff.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only problem is that i can see is that why shoudl the winner have to show his cards, revealing how he played the hand. while the loser does not have to show how he bluffed the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Strictly by the rules, I do believe you can muck your hand at any time if you are not interested in winning the pot. Also, it is true that the winner does not have to show his cards in these cases.

I think the real issue embraces sportsmanship, etiquette and general friendlyness. Like I have said, I would simply flip over my cards in most cases unless I had done something spectacular or unusual that I felt really needed to be concealed.

As far as giving information away, well that can sometimes be a problem against very observant players. However, you always have the weapon of them knowing how you played a certain hand and then playing different cards the same way or the same cards a different way.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 AM

I show if its somebody that I am friendly with, but will make a production out of waiting if I do not like the opponent. it's always nice to needle an as**** by simply going by the rules when you catch him bluffing.