Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: It will come down to $.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it just the word nappy that makes it racist? I definetly think it is mean and a stupid thing to say but I am not sure why it is racist exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

they made some other remarks about the girls all being kinda mean-looking, having a lot of tattoos, looking like the Toronto Raptors, etc. the other guy called them 'hardcore hos' then imus called them 'nappy headed hos.' the context made it seem very racist to me, just their tone and the nudge-nudge good-ol-boyism of their conversation. we have a lot of code words and euphemisms in our society, we don't need to call people the n word to get our point across.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not see the show but have watched/listened to Imus on occasion for many years. If one listens to these quotes, within the context of the moment but not of the show, I can see how blacks are pretty ticked off. However within the context of the show has a whole, this is not much different than much of the verbal repartee between Imus and his cohorts. People of all kinds and groups are lampooned, be it by gender, sexuality, ethnicity, geography, etc. This humor often includes deadpan imitation and/or matter of fact statement. Comedy is sometimes derived by having verbal exchanges in which Imus and his cohorts playfully assume the roles of those they are lampooning. Perhaps making overtly racist remarks to highlight the idiocy of the racist(not saying this is the case here, just sometimes the style/humor they use) or the role-play serves as the comedic effect itself.

In any event, this guy is pretty charitable and been around for awhile, talking non stop for hours everyday. Not too hard to imagine him going overboard or making a foolish mistake, pretty harsh to take the guy's job and also affect his charities revenue stream over this admittedly tasteless exchange.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Don Imus vs. Black America?

daryn, you are making a generalization that i object to. it is their consistent comments not their political beliefs. most conservatives are not racist, nor are most people who are against illegal immigration. you are marginalizing my response by making broad statements that do not reflect what i wrote.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO from what I've heard

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO from what I've heard

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, from the interviews I've heard on his show ...

Still funny???
Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson are idiots and racists!

Thank god we've cleared that up.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: It will come down to $.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al Sharpton is pathetic and honestly if I was a black person in America I would make a point to distance myself as far from him as possible. I don't know how anyone takes him seriously. That's not to marginalize Imus's comments but every time I see Sharpton making headlines I wonder what he is providing other than divisiveness and unintended entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al Sharpton is an unbelievably gifted public speaker. I followed a lot of his comments during the 2004 Presidential campaign, and he absolutely dominated some of the debates. He is weak on economic issues, but he has a lot of insight on social issues.

You might want to check out his speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention - - http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...ton2004dnc.htm

Also, his eulogy at the James Brown funeral was fantastic. I can't find a link right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely insane that anyone could defend Sharpton. Does the name Tawana Brawley mean anything to anyone? The [censored] has been convicted of slander (and their bullsh*t lies likely led to the suicide of one of the cops thye made up the rape charges about).

He deserves to burn at the stake, nothing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe it took someone this long to reference this little incident. The fact that people throughout this country identify Sharpton as a "black leader" is pathetic, IMO. Likewise for Jesse Jackson. I'm far from a Democrat, but this is part of the reason I'm really excited to see Obama come to the forefront in the past few years.

As far as this Imus thing goes, seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. I think you hear lots of thing throughout media and culture that are just as insensitive or racially-charged, but you don't see anyone getting put on a two-week vacation for them.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amulet,

If you have some racists quotes from Hannity or O'Reily, please provide them. Otherwise, you shouldn't stereotype people...any people.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not going to attempt to provide any proof, but does anybody believe that hannity/o'riley/coulter/whoever else aren't racist?

i'm know that there are people who rail against illegal immigration that aren't biggots...all im saying is that its an issue that is used by some to spew hate in a way that is cable news friendly and won't have sharpton breathing down their necks.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most conservatives are not racist, nor are most people who are against illegal immigration.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish i agreed with this, and it's not because of the C word that i don't.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny that Imus is a liberal and has many liberal guests on his program such as Kerry and Carville to name two. IMO from what I've heard, he's quite easy on them too as he throws them alot of "softballs." He's also very critical of the Bush administration. Not sure how many of his liberal guests that seem to like him so much are supporting him now (I understand Carville has come to his defense but I doubt that few will go near him now) but I'm sure that many he's criticized will be happy to see him go. An ironic situation. I think he'll be fired fairly soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to start a pissing contest over this, but you have quite obviously not heard the show, well, ever. If you have then you haven't paid attention.

While liberal, he was a big Bush supporter at first, as was much of the country after 9/11. Since then, well, he and about 100 million others have changed their mind. Calling him 'critical of the Bush administration' doesn't really single him out much, DUCY?

This whole incident has gotten blown ridiculously out of proportion. Anyone that has listened to Imus in the last 20 years has heard much, much 'worse' from him. His most vocal critics (Sharpton and Jackson) have said much, much worse than this. The difference between the 2 groups is, Imus was trying to be entertaining while the other 2 asshats are simply that - asshats.

FTR, I have not worked with Imus directly, but have participated in a couple of the Tomorrow's Children's Fundraisers that he has been a huge part of for over a dozen years. I have yet to see something even remotely of this nature done by either of the 2 'black leaders' that are propogandizing this incident.

You want to do something about this whole load of b.s? Donate.
http://www.atcfkid.com/
Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

Imus clearly made a poor joke, but that's basically what he does, tries to be funny and fails. I'm more disconcerned by his lack of radio ability than his racism.
Closed Thread