Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM

Default When should child support end?

The question came to mind when I read in another thread that a guy married a woman who has two kids. He calls them "my boys" and obviously loves them and treats them as his own. For that I have great respect. It takes a huge heart I'm sure and he probably is and should be very proud.

That said, he talks about his income and his ability/limitations to reload, his wife's income, and the fact that the children's father pays a substantial amount in child support. That's what struck a chord.

The law is one thing and I don't want to talk about legalities. A parent's financial responsibility to his/her children in the event of a split is obvious.

However, when the spouse who has custody gets married again and a traditional family structure is once again realized and the person marrying into this situation considers the children his/her own, shouldn't this free the non custodial parent from any more regular financial obligation?

I'm not talking about holidays/birthdays/mall visits, etc, but rather regular substantial monthly payments.

Onaflag..........