Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Money is so overrated.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And yes, there is a well-established correlation between money and happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then ppl who have lots of money should be able to relax and enjoy all that happiness, and have no need to strive harder to accumulate even more money, yet they never do seem to get around to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you've never been to South Florida, then.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM

aramfingal,
These people aren't driven by money, they want to be very successful at business. Money is a way of keeping score.

[ QUOTE ]
Money does not make you happy, but it does make your life better. It is important to recognize the distinction

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone can agree on this, but most people don't realize how much life improves from middle class to rich.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM

As others have said, I think that the correlation is between amount of people you're supporting and how important money is. I feel fairly confident that $26,000 a year I could be happy. But my single mother raising me and 3 other kids...yeah, not so much enough money to be "happy."

Clearly the number of dependents is the most important qualification for how much money is important (at least imo).
Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
money makes the world go around. as soon as everyone recognizes that we can all stop skirting around the truth and stop bitching about blah blah blah material society blah blah dont want to work for the man blah blah etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously. Money is nearly everything in our life. Stop lying to yourself about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't believe you. i'll give you a chance to prove it though. send me lots and lots of money and i'll tell you if i get happier or not.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 AM

money is nothing without wisdom
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only things I like are weed, booze, sex, Winning Eleven, and music. Everything else is hell bent on destroying me. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you need money to obtain all of those?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We live in a consumer culture that uses the media to manufacture needs in people. If advertising didn't convince the public to buy so much, then there would be no outlet for the gigantic productive power of capitalism. Despite this trend, some people are still pleased by inexpensive activities like reading, watching movies, smoking weed, writing, going for walks, exercising, conversing with friends, etc.

The drawback to being satisfied with little means is that no matter how much you are happy, you won't have the means to make certain people happy. In fact, many people will outright disapprove of you. Money is power. Money is social acceptance. No amount of philosophy is going to pay your kid's tuition, or buy you a house in a decent neighborhood.

An individual of little means CAN be very satisfied in america, but there are less ways to do it than one might think. Find your path, and walk it.

Very few people can accomplish this without decent fellow travelers, and it's too hard to tell the difference between an enlightened ascetic and a filthy hippy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

You oft provide the much needed dose of reality as I peruse the forums. I know it doesn't mean much coming from a douche bag poster like myself, but whatever: "Rock on cocaine-android dude!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only things I like are weed, booze, sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not obtaining these with money, then I have to insist that you wash and sanitize your hands before shaking mine.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
I carry bottles and bottles of Purell. HOLLA

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM

Most studies show money can greatly increase happiness, but mainly only up to the point where necessities are met. Once all necessities are met, the happiness effect of additional money tapers off. So a person making $50,000 a year is much more happy than a person making $10,000. But a person making $10 million is not much more happy than a person making $1 million.

Bottom line is, if you are doing something fulfilling, and your basic necessities are met, you will likely be much more happy than a multimillionaire who hates his job and his life and buys a new yacht every week.

The Psychology of Happiness
Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only things I like are weed, booze, sex,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not obtaining these with money, then I have to insist that you wash and sanitize your hands before shaking mine.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice!