Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: speaking in tongues question for christians

[ QUOTE ]

Once again I'm struck by how easily believers think such things are even plausible.

You mean the inventor of the Universe has to resort to bizarre secret codes to communicate in private languages, in which lesser beings express little other fealty apparently, to the exclusion of those around him? Why involve the tongue and the mouth at all?

And why further is this practice considered unsound if not heretic by most Christians, if such an all-powerful being felt it a necessary part of a sincere relationship with it?

Far more likely it is simply the result of powerful emotional urges and psychological states brought on by the need to believe.

Intellectual integrity means at its heart the willingness to question about the fundaments, something that never seems to occur to believers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that unreasonable to believe that God is bigger than the English language, or any other language for that matter?

You say, "Why involve the tongue and mouth at all?" Well, why do we bow our head and close our eyes to pray? Why do we lift our hands to worship? They're all symbols of intimacy with God.

Your claim about tongues being considered heretic is extremely untrue...any believer who claims it is heretic is ignoring the scriptures.

This "intellectual integrity" comment is unnecessary. To say believers never question things like speaking in tongues is unfounded. You assume Christ followers just float through life and never question the Bible, never question God's existence, etc etc. Every true follower of Christ that I know questions these things, but in the end still has faith. Do we have it all figured out? No. But neither do you.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To say believers never question things like speaking in tongues is unfounded. You assume Christ followers just float through life and never question the Bible, never question God's existence, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may thing you are questioning such things, but your conclusions are all pre-determined. Being open to alternative explanations for why you are "speaking in tongues" would potentially involve you turning away from God. You'll never go down that rabbit hole.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To say believers never question things like speaking in tongues is unfounded. You assume Christ followers just float through life and never question the Bible, never question God's existence, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may thing you are questioning such things, but your conclusions are all pre-determined. Being open to alternative explanations for why you are "speaking in tongues" would potentially involve you turning away from God. You'll never go down that rabbit hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, I didn't realize you understood me and my way of thinking so well. Thanks for the eye-opener.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have also heard of people speaking in tongues that have been translated to actual languages that the speaker was unaware of. I have never seen this myself, but I have heard of it happening. If it is true, I think it would be a very good argument for the existence of God...wouldn't you all agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're wired for language. Children occasionally create private languages and there is structural similarities in unrelated world languages. I'd be surprised if the tongue language turned out to be entirely babble, there should be at least some structure and repetition in how it's produced, and not surprised if it was often decipherable when analyzed.

The fact in emerges in specific sects should answer any questions as to 'why' it exists.

luckyme
Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't really know what i'm hoping for here because i have a feeling that many responses will frustrate me.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems like vhawk was either the only person who "got" the point of my post or the only one who was interested in it.

it was probably my fault.

i'm not really all that interested in speaking in tongues, i'm interested in the ways christians integrate various beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think I got it, I was interested in it, but I'm not a Christian, so I think any posts by me are just going to be Christian-bashing.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, I didn't realize you understood me and my way of thinking so well. Thanks for the eye-opener.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he wrong? Would you accept some evidence or some lines of thought that led you away from God?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I shouldn't even pretend to possibly understand the mindset of someone who whole-heartedly believes in speaking in tongues. The fact that you have come to the conclusion that God wants you to speak in tongues to him each Sunday obviously means that you have honestly and intelligently pursued all other possible explanations for the phenomena. How silly of me to think otherwise.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You also said you were addressing the question to Christians who don't believe in speaking in tongues...I believe (I'm not 100%, but I'm almost positive) that speaking in tongues is biblical (New Testament), so if they don't believe in it, I would like to know why they are ignoring the scripture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do your fellow parishoners handle snakes and drink poison while they're speaking in tongues?

And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. ”
Mark 16:17-18

“ Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. ”

Luke 10:19

If not, why are you ignoring the scripture?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I shouldn't even pretend to possibly understand the mindset of someone who whole-heartedly believes in speaking in tongues. The fact that you have come to the conclusion that God wants you to speak in tongues to him each Sunday obviously means that you have honestly and intelligently pursued all other possible explanations for the phenomena. How silly of me to think otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

We could argue about this all day. I have faith that the Bible is the word of God, (amd speaking in tongues is included in the scriptures)...I have spent much time seriously questioning the Bible and doubting it at times, as do many Christ followers. Just because you've questioned it and don't believe it doesn't mean Christ followers have never really honestly questioned it.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We could argue about this all day. I have faith that the Bible is the word of God, (amd speaking in tongues is included in the scriptures)...I have spent much time seriously questioning the Bible and doubting it at times, as do many Christ followers. Just because you've questioned it and don't believe it doesn't mean Christ followers have never really honestly questioned it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in honestly questioning the bible, your faith precludes you from coming to any other conclusion than that it is the word of God?