Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Says Bluff Magazine Best in Industry. WTF??!!

Gab, I appreciate your feedback with regards to Bluff. While, I understand that Bluff is not for eveyone, please do realize we have made great strides in balencing lifestyle with information and strategy articles. I think a good number of people on this forum would have to agree that Bluff has improved and has a little more then zero depth and a 100% fluff.

With respect to your first post, you failed to include the following articles, which I would consider to be more then Fluff. Please let me know if you disagree?

Check - Ed Moncadas article on the rising stars of the poker world!

Online Report - written by P5's

How Intimidation works and fails in poker - written by Mike Caro.

The Online Tournament Landscape is in a State of Flux - written by Chris Birchby (Marvin Garden).

Reading a hand - written by Niman Kenkre

Conceal, Dont Reveal - written by Joe Navarro

The Optimal Opening Raise - Written by Brandon Adams

A Huge PLO hand - written by Gus Hansen, who discusses the strategy behind his play!

I believe the balence of our aticles is getting better every issue. Pick up the latest copy and let me knwo your thoughts?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Does Bluff has as many exclamation marks in the aticles as your posts? I think you struck the exact right balence.

Seriously though, why is this a thread: Phil Gordon is kind of a dork, and he thinks it's a better magazine. In high school, some of my friends were in a band that was one of my favorite bands, I sincerely thought they were better than everyone else. No bigs.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I just picked up this issue and while I enjoyed the coverage of the Aussie Millions, thought you really sucked for your obviously biased stabs at Jimmy. Yes I'm understandably prejudiced, but clearly this remark: "To be kind, Jimmy definitely has a face for online poker" was juvenile, unprofessional, and definitely UN-kind. I'm glad you followed up the attempts at cuteness with Gus's critique; at least he succeeded in providing a mature, professional, balanced report.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up this issue and while I enjoyed the coverage of the Aussie Millions, thought you really sucked for your obviously biased stabs at Jimmy. Yes I'm understandably prejudiced, but clearly this remark: "To be kind, Jimmy definitely has a face for online poker" was juvenile, unprofessional, and definitely UN-kind. I'm glad you followed up the attempts at cuteness with Gus's critique; at least he succeeded in providing a mature, professional, balanced report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff like that seems to be the standard nowadays. I think it's terrible that they would take jabs at people like this. Hopefully they will reconsider.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM

step it up bluff. cardplayer has 2 issues per month and bluff only has one. step up your game bluff.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 PM

Shy,

There is really no reason to do 2 issues per month! CP pulled off of newsstands because of this very reason.

To be quite honest it's difficult enough trying to get editorial in monthly from a good portion of our writers.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Wow!! I guess my posts on 2+2 really do get attention!! The editor of Bluff Magazine actually joins these forums for the FIRST time (notice his registration date) just to respond to my post!

Anyhow, to the Bluff Mag editor: thank you for responding. I did read ALL the articles in that issue of Bluff, as well as many other issues of your magazine. And as I noted in my previous post even the technical articles lack any kind of real depth. They merely touch on the subject with very little detail or depth-- certainly not enough to improve ones' game.

Please compare your technical articles with those of Cardplayer. Cardplayer has much more detail and depth in their tech articles, and often the reader can pick up genuine useful info that can improve his/her game. I cannot believe that if you compare your tech articles with those of Cardplayer that you can HONESTLY say yours are better. And please note I do not work for Cardplayer.

The way the poker boom is imploding post UIGEA there will probably be enough demand by the poker community for only ONE poker magazine by the end of the year. Already your magazine, as well as Cardplayer, are becoming harder and harder to find at newstands and bookstores. If Bluff is able to outlast Cardplayer in the long run I would be very surprised.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 PM

I lost all respect for Cardplayer industries when they dumped Scott Huff, Gavin, and Joe "The Cub" Sebok from "the Curcuit". Podcasts are certainly the future in media and they failed to realize they had an awesome product with those clowns. Their cheapness also reflects in the recent overall mag look and quality of their articles.

Bluff is more fluff... but it's interesting and entertaining to read about the poker pro lifestyle once in awhile. Biweekly articles about playing "Big Slick from under the gun" can get a bit stale.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Gab, I would have to agree with you regarding your comment, "technical articles lack any kind of real depth. They merely touch on the subject with very little detail or depth-- certainly not enough to improve ones' game." After all how can a 1 or 2 page article make a you a better PLO player? I think the same can be said for CP and any other poker publication. This is one of the reasons why 2+2 publishes a variety of poker books! I would like to think we all agree that a book will improve your game as opposed to an article that can only "scratch" the surface!

I am not here to compare Bluff to CP, so please forgive me for not addressing that comment! Although, I think we hold up rather well if being compared!

Bluff actually has approx 100,000 copies on newsstand, which is only slightly less then our all time high. Please look at any major bookstore and you can find Bluff. Sometimes you will find the magazine in either the collectables or games section, which is why you may be having trouble finding the magazine. We are trying to work with our distributor to change this type of placment.

I would have to disagree with you regarding only ONE poker magazine being able to survive! I do think there is room for TWO. I know we are well funded and advertising revenue is getting back on track.

Additionally, holding the digital media rights for the WSOP has significantly increased our bottom line profits. We anticpate having our best year ever in terms of over all profit. I don't see this changing for at least another 4+ years! Once you see everything we have in store for the WSOP, you will have a better understanding why this is the case!

Gab, I appreciate your feedback and candidness!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Jack, you may see Gavin and Joe pop up again at the WSOP!