Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: The Well: Kilillan

[ QUOTE ]
THIS GOT LONG AND RANT-ISH. THUS MY QUESTIONS ARE IN BOLD

I have decided to completely ignore every hand that is posted in SSNL from now on, because I don't feel like there are many people here that can teach me anything, although I'm sure there are some.

But my real reason for ignoring the hand histories is because the more I play the more I realize how dynamic poker is, and that a hand history, even with reads/history/stats is never going to be the same as being there and making the decision in the moment. Sometimes I look at these hands and I wonder stuff like this:

1. how is this a question?
2. how do you play so poorly?
3. what is your image, so I can gauge this accurately and give a response?

and I'm realizing that it's a lot tougher to give good advice on tough hands. It's still really easy to tell someone to shove their pair + NFD on the flop, but that type of simple thinking doesn't really excite me anymore. Rather, I'm looking over my hands, as they happen, and communicating with a few people other AIM or PM where we know how we play and think.

I also think the quality of posts/posters in this forum has deteriorated much quicker than anyone could have imagined and I'm not sure why- increased competition? could only keep a secret for so long? Numerous good posters have declared that they are 'out' of SSNL, as recent as today with dbitel, epdaws and someone else in that thread said. Why? You've never really, at least since I've been here, been a hand thread starter. Why? And I notice you post in some, but not many.

I like the SSNL COMMUNITY, as a way to meet, talk and connect with other players, but I think I'm over the hand posting stuff, for the most part.

So my question to you is- what could be done to retain some of the better posters who seem to be losing interest with that aspect of the SSNL forum? Because with the state of the game now, people aren't moving up as aggressively as they used to and are staying at SSNL levels well past the point of proficiency, to the point where they feel like they have nothing else to add. And while I feel that way I really wish I didn't, and am looking for some type of way that we can continue to get the good players/posters to contribute.

My response would be to eradicate the cheese thread. You, goofy, kolotoure, etc, a lot of posters spend all their time there and don't bother engaging in any hand discussions. We're all guilty. But essentially, I think that while the cheese thread may have 'bonded' some members of the community together by allowing them a chance to talk about the silly side of poker, or about non-poker happenings, ultimately it can be blamed for the demise of this forum. what do you think of the cheese thead, a place that you have dubbed at times your own personal blog ? I am sort of conflicted, and I think this post proves that, because the cheese thread is a place where we can show some personality and other interests outside of poker and talk different things, discover common goals, hear stories, etc. But at the same time I think it has really shifted the emphasis of the forum, in a way that is going to be less helpful to many of the posters/players. In a way, the cheese thread has become the 'cool' table of the lunchroom (SSNL) with regular hand threads becoming the 'uncool' tables.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I too have become bored with analyzing people's hands. The usual hand posts on SSNL is 99% of the time, incredibly basic. There's almost always just one obvious good answer. Thus, it's become extremely boring for me to actually review and analyze hands. Though I used to.

I think the quality of the posters has deteiorated as well, but that's just basic evolution of online poker. The bill being passed made a lot of people find real jobs, dbitel for example got a real job and that's why he left.
Also, the good players tend to move up to higher limits and get bored with analyzing simple hands as well. You simply can't have great players posting on the bottom of the barrel all the time.
No I've never really started that many hand threads. I just think that 99.99% of all the hands I play simply play themselves based on my image and stats. Only once every couple weeks I find a hand worth posting or an idea worth exploring.

I don't know how to retain the better posters, or if it's even possible. It's just really freaking boring analyzing some newbie's "CAN I FOLD KK PREFLOP?" For the 502th freaking time.

" what do you think of the cheese thead, a place that you have dubbed at times your own personal blog "

My blog?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 PM

delta stop stealing my thoughts
Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 PM

How did you get started doing hard drugs (heroin etc..)?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Kililan, I'm not sure if it was sarcasm at the end or not, but I think you've called it your blog once or twice in posts, just joking I'm sure. Just wondering what you think of the cheese thread and if we should continue to have it or perhaps try a month without it and see how that goes?

I've noticed that I am much more interested in other forums now, like the gym and the sporting forum than I am in this one, which is too bad since I originally came here to learn. I guess with places like OOT and BBV generating huge hit counts, LC forums/threads are what the people want rather than the substance of poker threads in SSNL and other education forums. Just my 2 cents, didn't mean to derail.

So, have you seen Babel? There is some Japanese chick in the movie who is a deaf mute but also takes her clothes off at every chance she has. I don't think she's hot but my Norewigen friend who has the yellow fever just loves her and I'd imagine you would, too. School girl outfit, FTW.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM

Why did you move to japan?? Online poker will not die/why are you not playing on party or everest poker.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM

delta,

Just an FYI, SSNL is the 2nd biggest forum in terms of traffic on 2p2. [/end hijack]

Kil,

What percent of players do you feel are actual winners?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you get started doing hard drugs (heroin etc..)?

[/ QUOTE ]

good question..

I've always liked pain killers, not particularly hard to get in high school. You just get them in small amounts, like 2-3 vicodin.
My friend had his teeth pulled and I bought the pain killers he got. Also my grandparents kept some vicodin in the house for emergencies. I just kept taking a couple a day. For a very long time.

Then some very bad things, which I won't discuss, happened to me. I needed an escape, something stronger than vicodin.
So I took one morphine and it made me feel like god. It was a euphoria you've never experienced, you can feel your whole body going numb. Your eyesight, feelings, hearing. You can't feel everyday pain that you learned to ignore. You feel it coursing through your veins.

Blah blah blah, starting taking a morphine a day. Then two a day. Then three. Then I realized morphine wasn't strong enough then moved on to methadone and eventually dillauded.

Dillauded being stronger than heroin
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kililan, I'm not sure if it was sarcasm at the end or not, but I think you've called it your blog once or twice in posts, just joking I'm sure. Just wondering what you think of the cheese thread and if we should continue to have it or perhaps try a month without it and see how that goes?

I've noticed that I am much more interested in other forums now, like the gym and the sporting forum than I am in this one, which is too bad since I originally came here to learn. I guess with places like OOT and BBV generating huge hit counts, LC forums/threads are what the people want rather than the substance of poker threads in SSNL and other education forums. Just my 2 cents, didn't mean to derail.

So, have you seen Babel? There is some Japanese chick in the movie who is a deaf mute but also takes her clothes off at every chance she has. I don't think she's hot but my Norewigen friend who has the yellow fever just loves her and I'd imagine you would, too. School girl outfit, FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt they try removing the cheese thread once?

I think it makes the forum interesting. Without it I think the good players would migrate elsewhere, at least a lot of the better regs would.
It's simply not fun discussing simple poker hands anymore, I think a lot of people share this feeling.

And yeah I saw babel. It was much worse than I expected actually. The Japanese storyline didn't fit AT ALL into the main plot, which bugged the hell out of me. Also, I didn't find her that cute since I see Japanese girls so much cute than that on a daily basis. Though I've never seen anyone try so hard to get laid and fail
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you move to japan?? Online poker will not die/why are you not playing on party or everest poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because after the druggy haze I realized there're more important things in life than money. I can always make money, I won't be 19 forever.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
delta,

Just an FYI, SSNL is the 2nd biggest forum in terms of traffic on 2p2. [/end hijack]

Kil,

What percent of players do you feel are actual winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a statistic on this.

Isn't it like 65% are losers, 28% are breakeven and only 7% are actual winners?

It would largely depend on the level, but that seems about right for 1/2